Simple method for evaluating conservation priorities of trees.

Xerxses

AHA – a simple method for evaluating conservation priorities of trees in parks and urban areas from an entomo-saproxylic viewpoint

Is there a similar method in UK? If not this might be usefull to anyone involved in serious surveywork regarding trees, not just taking safety but also eco-issues in mind. I'm using this method as a part of my treesurveys, especially the ones regarding avenues of trees since there is a protection (TPO-type) on all treeavenues in Sweden. You are not allowed to do any kind of work on trees that are protected unless you have contacted the "County Administrative Board (-Länsstyrelse) prior to carrying out any kind of work that might damage the protected biotope. This method gives me a better base for my exemption application and help me to come across as a professional.

Any input or ideas on other methods are welcome!:001_smile:

AHA translates into Reveal Threathened park and Avenuetrees(AHA = Avslöja Hotade park- och Alléträd.)

aha-metod.pdf

MMMmmmm Do we all speak swedish! lmao come on xerxses, give us the english version at least!

Sorry but it's a scientific paper... with some parts translated....

Come on Hamadryad! Have u ever tried Google translation?!?:confused1:If not you should give it a try, good enough to get the grasp of it....

I was just wondering if enyone was interested in the method and IF there was a similar method in english?

Ive been usig Google translation to communicate with a guy in Greece that only speak greek! Emailing with translation was allright.:001_tt2:

"The paper presents a simple method for evaluating conservation priorities of single broadleaved deciduous trees in urban areas (parks, avenues, cemeteries and gardens) from an entomo-saproxylic viewpoint. It is a rapid, low cost method, independent of weather and time of year, to be used by any person with or without prior entomological knowledge, still without losing precision and quality. The method classifies trees, regardless of taxonomy, into five different groups (I-IV, R) reflecting the probability of the tree to host nationally threatened (redlisted) saproxylic insects. The probability is set to ’very high’ by class Itrees, ’moderately high’ by class II-trees, low by class III-trees and very low by class IVtrees.

In addition, a special R class (Resource class) holds trees which are postulated to evolve into any of categories I-II within a reasonable near future (20-100 years from now).

The classifying procedure is made step-wise by evaluating seven ecological and structural qualities: tree hollow, water-filled stem hollow, sap run, exposed wood (no bark), tree fungi, tree dimension (stem diamater >1 meter), pollard (taller stump). The method facilitates evaluation of single objects and makes them comparable. It predicts presence/absence

of threatened species, not quality or quantity of such, and is proposed for situations when rapid decision and/or low-cost measure-taking is in demand.

This was all in the paper already translated! The rest goes into detail about the method... which would be a waste of time for me to translate into english IF there is already a similar method being used in UK already!