Hamadryads fungus diary

"Posative pressure is of no consequence to a well established and fruiting Mycelial mass that is not only well plumbed into the trees system but causing a great deal of dysfunction within its transport network, effectivley "plugging" the vessels of a tree. IMO..."

Im not sure that positive pressure would be of "no consequence" as you put it. In fact, it is more likely to be the only mechanism at work if the vascular function is seriously disrupted? This cos transpiration is not a process that can be relied upon resulting from said "disruption" Thats what "dysfunctional " means unless Im missing something here. Dont get me wrong, I too am speculating. Im put in mind of saprophytic species all of a sudden.....

BTW, arent the most vessels actually present in coniferous trees ( so softwoods ) This where we find the "pits". The anatomy of softwood is significantly different to broadleaved hardwoods...sorry, stating the obvious but the detail is certainly of significance if speculating ( which is of interest esp on forums ) ....

Never seen a gano sweat. Nothing much surprises me about fungi! I should phrase that somehow differently. Nothing but surprises are the norm with fungi...yeah, that's better!!

Great image of the robustus btw...quality!:001_smile:

i thought you might like that one, i thought of you as soon as i saw the thing!:biggrin:

this "sweaty brackets" thing has really got me thinking now, thats what I love most about this place, the differnt observations people make.

So, to back up my views that "posative pressure is irrelevant, here is a chicken, laetiporus, sweaty profusley on a log, that has been down for some time, andlate autumn a time of neegative pressure if anything!

so here is another sweaty bracket... sounds a bit odd! lol:lol:

597655e631e1c_grifolaandbracket016.jpg.7af255efe5e191abf024e58ca92667de.jpg

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning: The following is speculation / cod science and contains a dodgy analogy.

We had a pin-hole puncture in a central heating pipe that didn't leak when the system was cold, but dripped when it was hot because of the pressure increase. Some brackets might work in a similar way, without it necessarily benefiting the fungi. That might explain why it's an occasional event for some species of fungi that aren't noted for dripping, rather than being a regular occurrence for them.

As for spore release, whilst that might be a factor in 'regular drippers' like Inonotus, I imagine there must be more to it than dripping spores onto the wood that the parent fungi is inhabiting - I can't see how it would benefit the species to have a system that competed with itself?[/QUOTE]

Highlighted the point you made-

Imagine a bracket like Hispidus, well documented for causing bark/cambium necroses. if the fungus was to spread its pores about its own host would this not be a great way of circumnavigating barriers and rays etc?

Maybe that does happen...

It's also made me wonder about the primary function of spore release - you'd imagine that would be to find new hosts, not least because the current host is a finite resource.

I'd assumed spores are primarily wind borne (is that correct??) and therefore moisture would be a disadvantage.

On the other hand, I guess water-borne spores would be better suited to entering the soil and finding their way to a neighbouring host via the roots.

I'm obviously guessing here, is this kind of thing covered in a readable book?:001_rolleyes:

Maybe that does happen...

It's also made me wonder about the primary function of spore release - you'd imagine that would be to find new hosts, not least because the current host is a finite resource.

I'd assumed spores are primarily wind borne (is that correct??) and therefore moisture would be a disadvantage.

On the other hand, I guess water-borne spores would be better suited to entering the soil and finding their way to a neighbouring host via the roots.

I'm obviously guessing here, is this kind of thing covered in a readable book?:001_rolleyes:

I dont think fungi drip spores deliberatley, just occasionaly it is benificial, but by chance rather than by design.

as for a readable book, are you kidding!

these books dont exist, you just have to read wahts avaliable, keep searching for those expensive obscure books no ones even heard off and just keep observing and observing until stuff starts to become clear.

Youll learn more via observation the books just havent been written, or if they have they tend to be 200£ plus!

Heterobassidion annosum, also "sweating, but a clear liquid.

597655eac1e0f_H.bassidion.jpg.3b061d1f458b30c78239b58613925817.jpg

Inonotus cuticularis, dripping. A BB pollard by the way, this fungi is rife there and IMO, certain the white rot is responsible for the wrinkly sock look of many of these old beeches.

597655eac6b7a_Cagepollard319.jpg.b87841ddb382aeeb9453708598869ff1.jpg

and no apologies for the excessive use of these Inonotus dryadeus bracket shots! I think this fungus is reet propper handsome!:biggrin:

The thing ive noticed about this particular "weeping conk" is that the drips are a feature, and of the upper surface, not the pore surface, also, the majority of sporalation occured on the bracket below BEFORE the weeping realy began in earnest?

all good stuff and keeping me awake at night!:laugh1:

597655eacabe1_I.Dryadeus(28).jpg.adb5d0491e98e27763f279b19f4f838b.jpg

597655eacf134_Ashwierdo307.jpg.bc1429548475d5b070dfdfbadb157259.jpg

597655ead2ca3_treesosorty(1096).jpg.fe505b2be060cec839233aae388193e8.jpg