Fungi Identity- a tester!

Just a translation for us normal mortals.

saprobe [ˈsæprəʊb]

n

(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Plants) an organism, esp a fungus, that lives on decaying organisms; a saprotroph See also saprophyte

[from Greek, from sapro- + bios life]

saprobic adj

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, can you elaborate on the coccinea faginata and cryptococcus fasisuga part of this equation for me? I have looked at this series of images again and there appears to be a black area on the rear of the standing stem, is this connected do you feel?

The fungi that formed in the same areas as the threads and i mean literaly out of the same "holes" was bulgaria iquinans, the orange threads I am now 99% certain without science/tech confirmation are the asexual stage, in diagnosis of ill health in trees, p 102 it suggests these threads "probably spore tendrills of the saprophytic fungus Libertella faginea (anamorph of Quartanaria quarternata) or of other macroscopicaly similar fungi"

5976553d14213_61209336.jpg.25cf3b32ee3e4bfc25ce03763de97ecd.jpg

Don't worry hamad I'm not trying to derail you - another translation

a·sex·u·al (-sksh-l)

adj.

1. Having no evident sex or sex organs; sexless.

2. Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction that occurs without the union of male and female gametes, as in binary fission or budding.

3. Lacking interest in or desire for sex.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a·sexu·ali·ty (-l-t) n.

a·sexu·al·ly adv.

Number 3 offers a source of fun and amusement but I shall resist!

Don't worry hamad I'm not trying to derail you - another translation

a·sex·u·al (-sksh-l)

adj.

1. Having no evident sex or sex organs; sexless.

2. Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction that occurs without the union of male and female gametes, as in binary fission or budding.

3. Lacking interest in or desire for sex.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a·sexu·ali·ty (-l-t) n.

a·sexu·al·ly adv.

Number 3 offers a source of fun and amusement but I shall resist!

Yep, thats the one paul, 1 on your list! the orange threads being as i stated the asexual stage of bulgaria iquinans!

does that help?

I'm not even trying to identify your fungus hamad, but after my wordy, 1st post, which was a bit of fun, I started looking up some of the words I didn't know and just thought that it wouldn't hurt to cut and paste, said definitions. Usually if one person doesn't know something, there's also someone else who would like to know. So I have hijacked your thread a little bit, but I hope in a helpful way to others.

I'm not even trying to identify your fungus hamad, but after my wordy, 1st post, which was a bit of fun, I started looking up some of the words I didn't know and just thought that it wouldn't hurt to cut and paste, said definitions. Usually if one person doesn't know something, there's also someone else who would like to know. So I have hijacked your thread a little bit, but I hope in a helpful way to others.

point taken, understood and appreciated, not hijacking, clarity is good!

mmmmm, where did you get that from tony?
Tony, can you elaborate on the coccinea faginata and cryptococcus fasisuga part of this equation for me? I have looked at this series of images again and there appears to be a black area on the rear of the standing stem, is this connected do you feel?

I got it from my fevered and inebriated mind! I noted the texture of the bark which is consistent with damage from Cryptococcus fagisuga on Beech. However, the resulting lines of symptomatic corky growth are exclusively vertical (normally on the main stem) and when added to the fact that your fruiting bodies were perpendicular (looked to be dangling!) to the host lead me to assume that the bit of tree we were looking had failed.

Cryptococcus fagisuga is also noted for being the vector for Nectria coccinea var. faginata in Beech Bark Disease, which can lead to the failure of affected parts. At this point I had another ale and lost all logical progression because I seemed to make the leap to assuming N. coccinea must be the fruiting body - because it too has orange fruiting bodies! Doh.

Quite aside from the fact that N. coccinea creates patches of dead bark as part of its life cycle and never produces sporophores such as those, as you have pointed out, Strout's and Winter identify it as something else entirely!

I then recalled that I had seen this before, years ago (before phone cameras were little more than camera obscuras) - see below. I remember IDing it satisfactorily then, presumably via Strouts & Winter! Double Doh!

It would seem that Beech Bark disease is still a possibility given your subsequent pictures? The dark area i'm not sure about, perhaps a symptomatic lesion?

The fungi that formed in the same areas as the threads and i mean literaly out of the same "holes" was bulgaria iquinans, the orange threads I am now 99% certain without science/tech confirmation are the asexual stage, in diagnosis of ill health in trees, p 102 it suggests these threads "probably spore tendrills of the saprophytic fungus Libertella faginea (anamorph of Quartanaria quarternata) or of other macroscopicaly similar fungi"

I'm not sure Libertella faginea is the asexual stage of Bulgaria inquinans though! The former seem to fruit on the underside of fallen timber whereas the latter are (from memory) seen on the upperside.

If you think of the "holes" you mention above (probably the lenticels?), its not surprising that two organisms use the same exit point - thats where the oxygen is.

Interesting though.

IMAGE_00070.jpg.f8b07413fe09ded8db978f158f5d9562.jpg

I got it from my fevered and inebriated mind! I noted the texture of the bark which is consistent with damage from Cryptococcus fagisuga on Beech. However, the resulting lines of symptomatic corky growth are exclusively vertical (normally on the main stem) and when added to the fact that your fruiting bodies were perpendicular (looked to be dangling!) to the host lead me to assume that the bit of tree we were looking had failed.

Cryptococcus fagisuga is also noted for being the vector for Nectria coccinea var. faginata in Beech Bark Disease, which can lead to the failure of affected parts. At this point I had another ale and lost all logical progression because I seemed to make the leap to assuming N. coccinea must be the fruiting body - because it too has orange fruiting bodies! Doh.

Quite aside from the fact that N. coccinea creates patches of dead bark as part of its life cycle and never produces sporophores such as those, as you have pointed out, Strout's and Winter identify it as something else entirely!

I then recalled that I had seen this before, years ago (before phone cameras were little more than camera obscuras) - see below. I remember IDing it satisfactorily then, presumably via Strouts & Winter! Double Doh!

It would seem that Beech Bark disease is still a possibility given your subsequent pictures? The dark area i'm not sure about, perhaps a symptomatic lesion?

I'm not sure Libertella faginea is the asexual stage of Bulgaria inquinans though! The former seem to fruit on the underside of fallen timber whereas the latter are (from memory) seen on the upperside.

If you think of the "holes" you mention above (probably the lenticels?), its not surprising that two organisms use the same exit point - thats where the oxygen is.

Interesting though.

I wasnt suggesting THAT!

I am suggesting these threads are Bulgaria Iquinans, an asexual stage.

Great point about the lenticels, hadnt even thought of that!

point taken, understood and appreciated, not hijacking, clarity is good!

I wonder if we could do with a glossary of terms thread for those of us without as much knowledge of Posh Words, maybe stickied so its easy to find and refer to, and not to be de-railed! Just a thought:001_smile: