Petzl Saddle and Tree Austria 3.

High Scale

I am holding the saddle right now in my hands (well actually it is sitting over there on the coffee table) and I have already switched the bridge to Nick's bridge he made me utilizing the 'opening' rings.

Seems like a light weight saddle. The ring size is just the same as the larger alum. rings produced by Buckingham in their false crotchs.

The back pad does seem thin, but all the webbing is sewn directly through the entire back pad so it all appears fairly strong.

Robert Phillips noticed that the 45 degree gear loops on the back are sewn in a way which seems like the stitches would pull out over time.

One detail I like is the side D rings are robust and have the same double bar set up like the B'fly where the webbing will hold the Ds either in the open (forward) or closed (backward) position.

Much better IMO to have the D rings like this than the alternative of having them flop back and forth.

Bailey's is including the new LARGE plastic flat back spline tool holder with every purchase of the Sequoia for just a limited time. The thing is huge, like a carrytool on steroids.

The regular ones are a good size for me personally as they dont stick out too far and snag on stuff.

Too bad they didn't simply make the old one stronger....

As for the 'opening' alum. rings. The torx head fine threaded bolt goes through one end and is threaded into the other end.

Petzl tells me that the thread depth is exactly the same as the bolt length, so pretty much impossible to strip the threads.

In addition, when they anodized the ring, they also anodized the threads inside. So that is how they are making the threads stronger.

I own the SRT model. On the back is a flat slotted piece of hardware designed to thread suspenders through. I wish they had simply made a webbing loop so a biner could be inserted. That way the climber can strip off the suspenders easily while in the tree without any hassle.