new arb first aid kit on the market from an Arbtalker

slasherscot

Well replied to Rupe's comments which i personally thought were out of order, i think Rupe either isnt a boss or isnt to fussed about his staff if we still did contracting your kit would be included in the landy's.

If your staff are important to you or even your own life then why wouldnt you always have the best kit to give you the best survibval chance.

Good luck with your future, but to be honest dont think you will with such a great product :thumbup1:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rupe,

Thanks for taking the time to post!

I do believe that current first aid kits do not fulfil the requirements of an arborists, so much so that i designed my own kit using all my experience in the industry, in the hope of giving arborists the best kit possible whilst covering every eventuality and more!! If the hse have it so spot on why are they not recommending compression bandages that the military and many other industry's use for stemming an arterial bleed. I might be corrected hear but since the new first aid regs came in on the 1st of October, does it not now require people in dangerous industry's to have first aid training which covers the specific potential injurys in that industry e.g chainsaw wounds!? amongst other things of course!!

To be honest if i just had an accident at work and i just cut through an artery in my forearm i don't think i would want your average passer by anywhere near me because i would know that the people i work with are very familiar with everything in the kit and how to use it.That should be the case with any first aid kit of course.

And in this case a tourniquet is the first bit of kit i would be using, the fact that a tourniquet can prevent you from bleeding out, which can take as little as 3 min from an arterial bleed, an ambulance could realistically be 20 min away,worst case but it could happen, which for me means it's a must for any arborist,

Anyone can go and buy a tourniquet on the net, and its a much better alternative to a shoe lace, which WILL cause tissue damage and possible amputation. and it might be the irrational option one faces when put under that kind of pressure when your friend is bleeding to death,

The story's of possible amputation with tourniquet use are true to some extent but that is where the tourniquet has been in place for several hours and only in the very worst cases, feedback from Afghanistan states soldiers view it as one of there most precious pieces of kit they have!!

Ambulance service in London has just taken delivery of the C.A.T Tourniquets.

I think those stats are for office workers!! but very true indeed.

You are spot on hear m8, contingency planning is a must, regular training/practise sessions with team members covering the full drill of potential accidents,aerial rescue the full lot, which a lot of company's do not do as much as they should. But for that one time an accident might happen i bet you wish you had an Arb Aid kit close by!:001_smile:

It did not sort him out thats for sure, but the right person with the right kit and knowledge could have saved him! just a thought.......

Thanks for all your encouragement and kind words folks very much appreciated,

And to all the people i spoke to at the trade fair, it was great talking to everyone , all the great feedback that i received over the 2 days was immense, it gave me enough confidence in my project to move forward and turn it into something the industry might get behind, keeping arborist safe!!

Thanks

Excellent reply, I wish you great success with your product, this is what the Arb industry has needed for some time now.

Well replied to Rupe's comments which i personally thought were out of order, i think Rupe either isnt a boss or isnt to fussed about his staff :thumbup1:

I am a boss and I am fussed enough to make rescue practice the forefront of our safety initiative. Without that, the rest is pointless.

If anyone wants to spend £290.00 on a shiny box then good for them. Learn how to rescue each other first though!!

Edited by Rupe

I am a boss and I am fussed enough to make rescue practice the forefront of our safety initiative. Without that, the rest is pointless.

If anyone wants to spend £290.00 on a shiny box then good for them. Learn how to rescue each other first though!!

Accidents don't always happen in the canopy of trees and there are a lot of guys on here that do forestry so I think a comprehensive first aid kit is a must for any company.

If they then need to train their staff up to a higher level than first reponse to use the items in the kit then thats the price you have to pay for something that may save someones life.

Just my thoughts!

Theres a thread knocking about somewhere with exactly that.

Some pics arent for the faint hearted though!:scared1:

Yeh thanks m8 had a look at them, they all looked very sore indeed!! There also might be people on arbtalk who might not want to share their experiences or pictures with anyone, very understandable!! But any pictures and experiences will be in the strictest confidence and they will be used to aid in the prevention of other arborists from making the same mistakes.

Nice kit BTW:thumbup1:

:thumbup:

I know we should all have first aid training anyway but is there a special type required to use the CAT tourniquet?

There is no specific one day training on tourniquet use, for the simple reason its pretty quick and easy to learn and use, that is the beauty of them!! the skills learned on a 2 day Trauma management course run by Arb Aid(FPOS Beginner and intermediate level) will teach you tourniquet use along with haemostatic agents, compression bandages and how to get the most from them cumulatively in a working environment!

And whole host of other things specific to arboriculture, training info page will be up on the site very soon.

Hope this answers your question Mesterh

Cheers

:001_smile: