Living and working in Australia

Alex O

Been an arborist for 18 years now, worked with a few firms when I started and have had my own business for the last 9 years. We are looking at relocating to Brisbane in the new year, my wife is a children’s nurse and have two young children, she has a couple of friends out there who have helped with a lot of information which has been great. Have seen quite a few jobs going full time and short contract stuff, I will be looking for full time with a company.

Oh ok, the reason I asked is because I thought you were new to the game.

Well, I went out there in a very very similar position to you.

I'm presuming it's your wife's qualifications taking you over? Because arborists are no longer needed really in any form, especially if you're over thirty?

Once you are there, there really is plenty of work going around, finding a good company is hit and miss from my experience. The hours I worked over there were over 65 at a minimum every week, week in and week out, the only difference is what kind of meat machine you'd be working for as the climbers are predominantly 21 year old brits who get paid what they consider good money, they work for a year or two and then bugger off so longevity is not on their minds, this sets a precedent so to speak on how British arborists are treated. This is obviously only my opinion but I was called old man in the gang as the second oldest person was 22, he was also the foreman.

Big trees! You will be doing massive take downs regularly with the odd prune here and there, it's heavy timber and it's hot, did I mention the bastard things are massive! The good thing is they use heavy machinery for everything, why? because there's glorious space, huge bandits and Vermeer,s make for "easier" days.

It's expensive, really expensive! I started on a thousand pounds a week ($2000 a week), I obviously worked my nuts off for this wage but I thought I'd landed in butter considering I was hired as a bog standard climber. I soon learnt that the food was really expensive, as in 2 or 3 quid for broccoli! Rent is very expensive if you want to live in a half decent house, internet and cars are also crazy expensive so that wage suddenly only scraped me through each week, luckily the beautiful outdoors is free.

Salaries of 65k a year is really nothing out there, you need at least 75 to 100k a year to say you will be comfortable, I'm basing that on your age obviously as the 21 year old climbers out there live 9 in a van smoking weed for breakfast and dinner, so to them 2 grand a week is more than they'd ever earn in the uk as newby climbers.

The quality of life is EXCELLENT! The people are friendly, it's beautiful and there's load to do. You can spend decades traveling that massive country and still have room to travel some more.

If you're going over and not having to rely on your qualifications but your wife's instead then I think you'll have time to shop around for a decent company to work for whilst you get your self sorted. It's worth it, especially if you have kids.

Yeah my wife is taking her exams in the next few weeks as she has to do an English speaking and writing exam even though she’s British. We see the cost of living is high but wages higher there than here, I can earn what I’m earning here in the uk after Tax over there but with no business over heads or day to day stress of it all , go to work do my job and come home and enjoy.Its the quality of life we are looking for and being better off each month so we see it as win win for us. My concerns were my age but was hoping my experience would out way it I’ve just turned 35. Do you come across many critters in the trees as heard those huntsman have a good jump on them? Where are you based? Thanks for the info also always appreciated.

65k is really not a good salary there, it's not a salary that will take you very far after food, rent and fuel. Coffee barristers make an average of 63k over there just to put it in perspective. Like I said, if you are 21 then that salary must seem amazing, if you're in your thirties and have need of a few more comforts than just a van and a bag of weed then anything less than 2000 dollars a week is going to be tough going.
Your first food shop from coles (Aussie Tesco) will be a bit of a shock, with your wife's salary you should be a bit more comfortable however.

I went over thinking 65k initial offer was a good deal, only to realise once I'd payed an extortionate leccy and food bill I was scraping through.

Meats reasonable considering but fruit is a bit pricy considering it's a hot country. There's a reason they live off veggiemite im sure of it.
A case of coopers (a bit like carling) is $60 roughly, maybe more now.

As for the critters, it all seemed over exaggerated if I'm honest. Huntsman are big and horrible looking but that's about it, nothing to fear. I saw them daily but never had an issue.

I apologise if i come across like a damp rag but I'm just giving you the no frills information, information I wish I'd received before I went over. If I had been told that 65k is not the same as it is here I would have looked for a better company before going over.
Make sure you get over 30 dollars an hour in Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne. They'll try starting you on 25 to 28 with the promise of a rise based on skills, say no, I promise you you'll thank me from a tropical beach one day.

The pay doesn't vary much unless you're with a large firm and you work as a dedicated climber, but on this trees it takes a toll on the body so being a groundy can be very welcome.
If you're on 30 to 35 you'll be ok combined with your wife's salary. Make sure you find a firm who gives breaks and works a normal 50 hour week.

I couldn't recommend going out there more if you have a family, it will be the best decision for your kids. It's a great way of life for them and for you.

• Like 1