Husqvarna 550xp

davesnout

Has anyone else had problems with their Husky 550xp carburettor? Mine has done 86 hours from new (over 4 years).  Would start up ok from cold but after a couple of minutes would starve of fuel.  Husky agent has now fitted a new carb.  Why would this happen? 

I've run a 254xp, 346xp and 357xp for years, no problems.

I have always used regular petrol, not premium, and API TC, JASO FB spec 2 stroke oil.  Could this be the issue?

Agent wasn't sure why carb needed replacing.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated so I can avoid this reoccurring.

There has been a lot of carb changes. The latest carb now has a coiled spring instead of the traditional diaphragm which has solved a lot of the throttle lag issues. The auto tune carbs are different from saws of old. With an electrically controled fuel valve   as well as the processor bolted on the side they can go wrong and in most cases a new unit is needed. They are still serviceable however. 

Oil has a lot to do with the life of these saws. If you want it to be reliable then you need good oil. Husqvarna s XP  is the best oil for this engine in my experience.  I’m concerned as to why the dealer has just fitted a new carb without knowing why? You don’t just chuck parts at stuff. Make sure it has fixed the issue for you. Also make sure they have either cut the fuel line to re route it away the cylinder or fitted the new one that comes in the box. Another little tweak to help hot starting. 

Edited by Sveriges
  • Like 1