New Chainsaw Brake Dragging

lloydh

I'm not certain but I think the wear to the inside of the sprocket cover is also from the brake band riding over the 'turrets' that are designed to keep the band in centre area. Hopefully it's only cosmetic as I think it's just a new brake band that my dealer has ordered in for the repair.

I take your point though that there could be fundamental alignment problems — fingers crossed this isn't the case.

I sent my dealer the same photos I posted above and I'm happy to take their lead on the repair so long as it's a permanent fix. Thanks for the suggestions though, and I will ask about the cover wear.

Update: I took in my saw in for repair today and had the brake band replaced.

I noticed the brake handle was much easier to operate straight away and there is no longer a protrusion when you look at the band with the sprocket cover off.

I fired up the saw outside the dealers and soon thought I'd traded one problem for another as a couple of times the brake 'bounced' back on after releasing the brake handle. Back to the workshop it went… In the end the mechanic couldn't replicate the problem by revving the saw and tipping it around. When I demonstrated he suggested that I manipulate the brake handle differently so that it didn't spring back so much.

Honestly I'm not confident it's 100% as it should be but I did try another Efco 8200 on the shelf and the brake at least felt like mine does now. We'll see after the saw gets some real world use.

Not Echo but I've used a couple of same saws and they develop their own characteristics and the brake is one part that never feels the same on two saws. You sometimes have to snap the brake all the way back to the top handle to release it and then only have to move another one back a couple of inches. Use it and get used to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for some follow up on my repaired saw now that it's seen some action, including some alaskan milling…

Since the brake band was replaced the dragging issue hasn't recurred and after frequent inspection I'm glad to say there are no signs of the new band wearing prematurely like the original one.

I'm now used to the more sensitive brake lever and it's only engaged accidentally once or twice while in actual use; Spud, you may be right about inertial — either way I do actually think it's safer now.