Splitting Efficiency

Tentman

Hello Guys (from down in NZ)

Currently we burn mostly Macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress) which can be pretty tough to split. At the present I'm using a beam type hydraulic splitter on my 85 HP tractor (which is only at idle hence burning very little fuel, but the hour meter is ticking so the depreciation is certainly costing).

In the near future we'll probably have to switch to Beech or Eucalypt, both of which are a bit easier to split, but only when fresh.

I process for about 3 or 4 families, so we're doing 40-50 cubic metres per year.

Since I'm running a 2.5 tonne excavator as part of my business I've been thinking about splitting with it - depreciation is about half that of the tractor, and I think it will save a lot of back work - wear and tear on the body by splitting straight onto the trailer . . . and much reduced lifting of rings.

So - excavator splitter's, whats most efficient, hydraulic beam type or screw/cone type?? Any thoughts?? A commercial cone type looks to be quite a big investment whereas I can build my own beam splitter.

Anyone running a cone on a auger drive like an auger-torque?

Thanks

Foster

Hi mate I have a small (14t) beam splitter which has linkage for a small tractor and also a cradle for a mini digger. I find it easier to process bigger lumps using the digger as I tip the splitter upsidedown and just process on the floor.

There is someone local to me who uses a screw cone for biomass timber and from seeing it working the finished timber looks very stringy/gnawed and untidy. Personally that's enough to put me off.

I use firewood for my home (1 open fire and 1 stove) plus 1 other household in the family.

The hour meters on tractors always used to say "hours at 1500 rpm" or something similar. If they still work the same (which I think they do) an hour ticking over on your log splitter will register as 10 minutes or so worth on the hour meter, not one hour.

Check the clock before and after an hour of ticking over to make sure.

May or may not make any difference to you but if correct it is worth allowing for it before making decisions based on depreciation.