MS230 piston size

Jase11

Looks like Meteor do a 40mm one for the MS230 and a 42.5mm one for the MS250. Strange yours measures 42mm but perhaps it is a cheapo aftermarket kit rather than the OEM part.

The piston looks seized front and rear - that is unusual!

It is possible that you are measuring where there is wear on the piston. I usually measure across the top side to side and it is correct the piston is smaller on the top than the bottom! Have you measured the bore? Are your vernier calipers decent??

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive got quite a good set of calipers and it's been measured all over and it's saying 42mm. I can't get them in the pot to measure it.

What's a genuine piston look like? I've cleaned the top of it up, what's that say on the top left..... egg fried rice :lol: have I got a Chinese piston in it?

IMG_0699.jpg.1e592e7d71941d911d903e6ee2584924.jpg

There are 2 piston sizes listed 40mm and 42.5mm. the European models of the MS230 require a 42.5mm piston, part no 11230302016, retail £56.51 plus vat and a cylinder and piston kit is £88.29 plus vat part no 11230201228. I would fit a genuine cylinder kit and know its right

Have I not got a genuine cylinder?

I bet the Meteor piston for the MS250 would be the right one. Stihl spec for the European MS230 says it has the same bore and stroke as the MS250.

If it were my money I'd see if the barrel would clean up - it looks genuine Stihl. And ask Meteor directly (Meteor web site has contact info) if their MS250 piston can be used in the Euro MS230. Also ask what the pin to crown dimension is and compare with your chinky piston (but remember your chinky piston isn't guarenteed to be right). That approach costs you under 30 quid.

bmp01

Actually the Meteor web site is pretty useful, have a look here

Meteor Piston Gardening - Forestry Products Catalog

I've copied a couple sections from the catalogue, first one is only useful to see the column headings.

Second one you can compare the piston dimensions for the MS230 and MS250 pistons. The top of the piston to the gudgeon pin centreline (18) is the same in both cases. The gudgeon pin is the same. Only the diameter and length are different.

I'd ask the question to confirm but it looks to me like the MS250 would fit you cylinder spot on.

bmp01.

IMG_20170308_225509.jpg.1c0629ccf26dc57b791b1f306f11c969.jpg

IMG_20170308_225725.jpg.f37f3c2c6c5d52700a10883958e7ea7f.jpg