Surplus Assault Vest For Work?

Haironyourchest

Was in the army surplus store today looking at an assault vest, maybe 6 big pockets, E45.00. Thinking it might come in handy for arial work, not necessarily tree work, but other tasks involving a harness, as the vest pockets ride high and would be out of the harness tackle, unlike a workman's belt. Pockets big enough to hold hand tools, the biggest would probably hold a medium size paint tin. The only problem though is the pocket flaps are huge and stiff, would probably have to cut them off, and also the masses of webbing straps which seem to festoon the thing, as they would constitute a snagging hazerd on scaffolding and so on. It's 45 bucks though, and would not like to ruin it as a throwaway experiment:001_huh: Anyone here ever tried using an AV for building work?

Can't put up with any apparel without covered pockets, which is why I wear Madsen's Hickory shirts at work.

I do wear a 3 piece bull riding vest when I'm negative rigging big stuff with a Hobbs though.

Kinda pricey but has saved me from broken ribs more than once, making it well worth the coin.

Jomoco

Can't put up with any apparel without covered pockets, which is why I wear Madsen's Hickory shirts at work.

I do wear a 3 piece bull riding vest when I'm negative rigging big stuff with a Hobbs though.

Kinda pricey but has saved me from broken ribs more than once, making it well worth the coin.

Jomoco

Now I think of it the AV had a double wall construction for inserting flak plates, I would guess, making it customisable for chest protection as well. If I can make the plates....

I ain't gonna tear mine apart to find out, but my first one which did get pretty well shredded had lightweight very high density foam panels.

Probably available at a fabrics store.

Pro bull riding vests cost up to 4 bills here, I get the cheapo 3 piece Velcro ones for 2.

Jomoco

image.jpg.eb896806852748aca18feddf3fb4bf55.jpg

Edited by jomoco