Professional Tree Inspection - Norwich

Amelanchier

I am wondering how relevant the one day seminars that are currently offered by TreeLife are to the PTI....

I can imagine that, whilst the BS5837 is a significant document the course is probably above and beyond the scope of PTI in a sense...but similarly, I imagine the one day fungi recognition course may well be very relevant ( Depending on your interest/knowledge base). Anybody have informed opinions about this atall? In particular I think...is the fungi course really very basic in relation to PTI?...I hear such contrary views somehow!!?:confused1:

I've done the fungi, BS5837 and the PTI with treelife. As I've said before, (I should know I've done it twice now..) the PTI is not a training course. It is a preperation/reminder followed by an exam. You can pick up stuff obviously but they don't attempt to teach you how to inspect trees. They expect you to know what your doing.

The BS5837 course again doesn't teach you how to inspect trees but usefull if you do BS5837 reports and there is some crossover.

The fungi recognition basically runs through whats in Lonsdales PoTHAaM with slides and examples. Usefull but still not good enough for me as I messed up my fungi ID in the PTI. I guess fungi ID comes with practice and lets face it seeing a photo in situ in a book of a nice fresh fungi aint going to help your ID of a dried up old fungi in a box. Which is why the fungi ID thread here is so good.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a standard AA/Lantra pro-forma included in the course booklet. It's not related to any proprietry system such as THREATS / STORM / ISA / QTRA - its simply a table that requires the following info...

• Number
  • Species
  • Spread
  • Condition
  • Recommendations
  • Work Priority
  • Re-inspection Interval

Its a standardised pro-forma to allow the examiner to compare the candidates on a level playing field so to speak.