Husky 50 Cylinder

tobimax

Hi

I´m new to this forum and would like to ask some advice.

I have just been given a Husky 50 Rancher white top in pretty good condition. (I was just going to use it for spares for my other Black top 50.) The piston has been replaced on the rancher but there is still lowish compression. Had a look through the exhaust port and the "new" piston is scored as well.

So any thoughts about a new piston/cylinder set. Shall I look at a 55 set? Any suggestions where, and from who to buy from.

The saw is immaculate otherwise. I would only be using it for a bit of cross cutting,small trees, firewood etc.

Thanks

Paul

Hi

I´m new to this forum and would like to ask some advice.

I have just been given a Husky 50 Rancher white top in pretty good condition. (I was just going to use it for spares for my other Black top 50.) The piston has been replaced on the rancher but there is still lowish compression. Had a look through the exhaust port and the "new" piston is scored as well.

So any thoughts about a new piston/cylinder set. Shall I look at a 55 set? Any suggestions where, and from who to buy from.

The saw is immaculate otherwise. I would only be using it for a bit of cross cutting,small trees, firewood etc.

Thanks

Paul

Check out my thread "Whats on your bench", the saw has probably seized and hasnt had the aluminium transfer cleaned off completely and has now taken out the new piston.

Clean the bore and fit a quality aftermarket piston - the Chinese ones are hit and miss!

Thanks for the comments. What sort of grades of wet and dry do you use?

What pistons do you recommend?

Thanks

Paul

You will need to use chemicals to remove the transfer, either alkalie or acid. I use anything from 180 grit through to 400 grit to finish but don't just sand the transfer off - you will damage the bore!

Pistons - in this order, Meteor, Episan, Golf!

Thanks for the info!

If I were to strip it down, could I send it to you for the treatment?

Cheers

Paul

You could do - get a decent picture up on this site first so we can see what you have got. The exhaust port side is generally the offending area and the same side of the piston will also be advised.

Do you know why the saw failed?

Typical reasons are using it with neat petrol (no oil in the fuel), using it with very old fuel/oil mix in it, air leaks or incorrectly adjusted carb.

If you don't know what caused it, it is important you find out as the new piston may go the same way as the old one.

From memory, these old ranchers have two rubber parts on the inlet side, on a saw this age, they often go hard or split, especially the impulse connection so worth checking these out.

What I am saying is that the cylinder repair is onl part of setting up the machine to work again:thumbup:

Hi Steve,

I think I have found the problem. The part you arrowed was just gunk where I wiped the cylinder.

the real problem is a groove in the cylinder and on the piston. Did not notice this as I was focused on the general grooves near the outlet port.IMG_2372.jpg.ba32005747a74a7f731d0a099259b705.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg.1ed7d9498234e1aef3c2c41e0207eb5c.jpg

What is the best next? Buy a chinese cylinder and piston? Maybe change the piston for a Meteor?

Cheers

Paul