Another mature beech.

JamesNI

Interested in your opinions on this beech, a customer of mine asked me to have a look, but i'd rather not guess. I'm no expert in fungi or tree health so help appreciated.

It sits on a river bank, so the rear buttress roots where the fungi are, are under massive tension, as the root plate on the other side grows back to the bank. The crown appear healthy with no die back or random dead wood or limbs.

Running above the fungi there is obvious bark damage in a ten inch strip to the top of the stem. The secondary stem is held on via a lovely inclusion too.

The pictures really don't do it justice, if it fell in winds across the river it will do major damage to the garage on the end of the house. The customer would like to keep it, but if I thought there was much doubt i'd prefer to monolith it so it couldn't hit his house should it fall.

Hope the pics work and thanks in advance for any help.

IMG-20130510-00102.jpg.d82034cfe72c23034d170282d7523753.jpg

IMG-20130510-00100.jpg.6dcbf774a99e80ad83410cedd3395035.jpg

IMG-20130510-00097.jpg.b51df578ea030d117f1ca6a053648422.jpg

IMG-20130510-00096.jpg.296bbff8871dc8a581bc675a8b00e57c.jpg

IMG-20130510-00095.jpg.85a537a7493c0cd32c5be7ae5d377368.jpg

IMG-20130510-00092.jpg.e6f2efe5a59a5043b32a1160b4b7827f.jpg

IMG-20130510-00091.jpg.06cbed4bc6d0f6b6a322cfdc4a64f511.jpg

IMG-20130510-00093.jpg.9a48cedca3dd4b862c4f5cb18cd42152.jpg

The brackets 'look' like Ganoderma pfeifferi but it may be just the rain water making them glisten.

If so, also consider these being G. applanatum/lipsiense or G adspersum/australe

I wouldn't rule out seem of disfunction being associated with an old lightning strike.

Is that your inspection ring on it or from a previous inspection.

If previous, there me be an associated report that would provide valuable historical information.

I wouldn't rule out seem of disfunction being associated with an old lightning strike.

Yes it would be essential to climb at least to that main fork in the top of pic 5, and assess dead vs. live bark there.

I wouldn't rule out the disfunction being a result of fence building. Wounding big root by sinking that wooden post, and associated activity, may have started the infection, which then moved up.

Or both may be true, or neither...if lightning, the streak would extend above that fork. If not, probably not. By the present look at the damage, a lighter treatment seems more appropriate than monolithing.

Never heard of inspection rings, but i sure like the concept! :thumbup:

http://www.historictreecare.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Lightning-TCI.pdf

has a description of assessment.

co dom stems origionating fairly close to gano colonisation ALWAYS need very careful consideration! No lightning IMO, bit of A. mellea there though, secondary, tree needs some help for sure.

Standard treatment for that codom would be a cable. ~2 hrs work, <100 pounds in materials. Usually much preferable to multiple limb amputation. :thumbdown:

so TC what physical signs of Arm are evident here?

image four and six, blatant, exudates brownish not blackish, and flaking bark, seen that secondary issue on beech more times than youve had hot dinners me old mucka:biggrin:

hmmm narrowed it down in a hurry, methinks...but no matter; arm is fairly ubiquitous isn't it, and there are bigger issues. Definitely an aerial inspection on the clock seems apropo.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Despite my ignorance, doing a bit of research on it has been enjoyable.

I've had a look at the fungis suggested, can't decide which for sure, i'll maybe make an effort to go tomorrow if it's a dry day and get a few more shots and give it a scrape to see how it is under the surface to help ID it.

I'll also get the kit out and get up and have a look at the bark damage up the tree.

The tag is from a previous survey which recommended a 30% reduction, but this was approximately 10 years ago and the reduction was never carried out. The client is the kind of chap who will sue me if it falls, which makes me nervous about giving him any advice!

Following an aerial inspection would a tomograph be the correct course of action for the next step?

Back with more photos soon!