Carpentry courses

APC

Hello,

I'm currently working full time as a ranger but am becoming quite interested in building stuff with wood rather that just chopping it down. I'm 31 now and Mrs APC is planning on getting up the duff fairly shortly and so I figure it's now or never to learn a new set of skills as in a few years I'll either be working, changing nappies or trying to sleep. I've seen a few courses around, all claiming to be better than the other despite them looking similar. Ideally I'll work towards a recognised industry qualification. What I'm looking for is a worthwhile course that includes everything from basics up. While I've been doing odds and sods with wood for years, I'd rather make sure I haven't missed anything.

Problem is, I will probably only be able to attend evenings and weekends. I'm not worried about part time courses taking longer, so long as it's worth it in the end. Maybe I stay a ranger at the end of it, just with better woodwork skills or maybe I'll have opportunity for career change, maybe I'll be made redundant in the future and need to widen my job search to other areas.

Any thoughts would be helpful and appreciated thank you!

APC, I'm afraid that I can't really help with your question, other than to suggest perhaps looking to see what evening classes are available.

Whilst I carry out carpentry/framing work for a living, I have no qualifications to my name, and everything that I know is self taught. I personally feel that you don't need formal training to learn the basics, and in respect of say the many available oak framing courses, I reckon they they are just a waste of hard earnt money. The money spent on these courses would be better placed in buying books and tools.

Where a dedicated carpentry course would score, is in the correct use of tools and workshop machinery.

It would also be worth trying to work out what you prefer doing in respect of woodwork. No satisfaction can be gained from new build site work, but immense satisfaction could be gained from say cabinet making, or furniture restoration. Whilst I get great satisfaction from the oak framing, my days of continuing with it are numbered. It's taken it's toll badly on my joints, and my body is pretty well and truly worn out now. Try to find something light and easy.