Phellinus robustus

Giles Hill

Looks abit like Phellinus igniarius...."White trunk rot"

I note from Phillips the following...

"May be a complex of species not yet fully resolved"

Hosts on deciduous and Ill grant you. willow is nowhere the same as oak....

Ive seen the conks turn from a creamy white , to a form more reminiscent of Fomes (Hoof fungus). It cracks like the image shown.

"It isnt rare..."

Really?

think youll find many fungi that were once considered rare might no longer be so considered.

I cuticularis, pfiferri, and the phelinus Sp, of which the punctatus is also considered rare

all these whilst infrequent, certainly not rare, least not in the south east in my experiance?

of course I would have to scientificaly back that statement up with microscopes and macro features for certainty of idents but have no fear, my two scopes will be purchased in may with my re mortgage! whoooopp whiooooop:001_tt2:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fungi can often be seen to be rare for two reasons, one being the lack of validated, qualified identifications, the other being that fruit body formation is how records are found, and we all know that fungi are ever present and may not fruit for decades as it requires two spores of differing dna to get together and generate a hyphal coupling and sexual reproduction-fruiting body

IME-In my experience

David= MonkeyD

Does this help?

O.k

IME and IMO phelinus robustus, the robust bracket is probably often just grouped into the ganodermas, diagnosed and treatment no different. it wouldnt be hard to see why, as robustus is very similar in apppearance and lets face it how many arbs would be able to distinguish it from a gano?

As has been pointed out work has been lacking on these Phelinus Sp igniarius and robustus etc but certain in a few years as more arbs become more aware more will be recognised, the rarity classification will fall and more information will come forward.

do you agree?

Actually probably not Hama...I appreciate the difficulties of identification. I am however of the opinion that those species of fungus rated as rare, may well not be so rare......but perhaps that this whole thing is something of a red herring....

I am an ARBORIST first and foremost....For me, the classification and taxonomy of of fungi is an arena into which I look only in relation to trees and probably further, only in terms of amenity.

I dont want to sound all bitter and twisted about it. Those who are priviledged to work with the ancients and such are just that. Im not sure where the preservation of this resource; quite singular to the uk is all heading. Its only an arena for the employed if indeed you are yourself priviledged......

As an arbo, its hard to tell those who "halo" "Retrench"" aerate " etc etc where to get off. Most of us do a job. We provide a service.....My opinion is my arsehole..I am always surprised when others express an interest therein!!

Actually probably not Hama...I appreciate the difficulties of identification. I am however of the opinion that those species of fungus rated as rare, may well not be so rare......but perhaps that this whole thing is something of a red herring....

I am an ARBORIST first and foremost....For me, the classification and taxonomy of of fungi is an arena into which I look only in relation to trees and probably further, only in terms of amenity.

I dont want to sound all bitter and twisted about it. Those who are priviledged to work with the ancients and such are just that. Im not sure where the preservation of this resource; quite singular to the uk is all heading. Its only an arena for the employed if indeed you are yourself priviledged......

As an arbo, its hard to tell those who "halo" "Retrench"" aerate " etc etc where to get off. Most of us do a job. We provide a service.....My opinion is my arsehole..I am always surprised when others express an interest therein!!

Your right in saying that it is only the privelidged that get to work on truly noble old vets and get full on into the myco side of things as a result, I am not one of the privilidged though I do often get asked to work trees of a veteran and old nature in rural locations as well as inner city.

My interest in mycology was not spurred from arboriculture, which i find rather ironic! it was my hobby, photography that first drew my atention to the fifth kingdom, it has been a growing passion for over a decade now.

the implications and obvious connection to work soon became more than just a tangent or odd observation here and there. I am now so gripped by the mycology bug I doubt my career will involve much else in the not too distant future.

I like a challenge, and mycology is indeed a biggun! certain it will give me lots of challenging things to learn and discover for the rest of my natural.

However, for you to say that your only interest is from a day to day amenity situation, and not having an appreciation of the purpose of veteranisation and veteran/ancient preservation and creation suprises me. have i mis understood what you implied? And is it REALLY just the u.k that is pushing this arena?

Even pissed, I am quite careful as to the language I use and subsequently the sense I convey.....

I think you are a perfectly intelligent human being but that your interpretation of my intended meaning is "your interpretation"

This for me is the basis for discussion......

I do not recognise the sense that you set out from my comments Hama...

I would be somewhat insulted infact when you consider the generalisation made in your previous post as to what an average arb does/doesnot or is/isnot capable of.....

Its all too easy on forums to be an a**h**e without realising that its actually just your own agenda that tends to force its' way to the surface.

Ah...sorry.Officailly derailed I think....