What training do i need ?

Ninjastrike

Im thinking of starting my own tree planting squad what would the forest commsion and private firms be looking for from a contracter training wise ive booked my self on a Forestry at work first aid course thought this was a good start. any other ideas to what training might help me get work ?

Assuming you already know how to plant a tree?

Emergency First Aid at Work + F, which is what I presume you've booked yourself a place on. For the FC you need to make sure that your squad has adequate first aid provision, which generally means at least two members have a EFAW+F cert. I think the FC prefer all on site to have the 1st aid cert.

Quad ticket if you're laying stuff out with a bike.

PA1 will be required for planting treated trees on FC sites from next year, not sure about private. I don't know if PA6 will be needed for FC or private.

If you want to pick up other stuff through the year then PA1 PA6 will let you do spraying, this is needed for all operators. Strimmer and brushcutter tickets would be an advantage for other work. Same with chainsaw.

Hello thank for your help yes i have 8 years of experince of planting and am wanting to go out on my own. I think i might do the PA1 as well then beacuse most of the trees i have planted in the last 3 years have been chemicaly treated. Im thinking of doing the PA6 later date if i know i will get spraying its £290 just to do that one day course at my local college and im wanting to get the most training for my money that im pretty short of at moment anyways.