Getting into the tree industry.

RobinsonArb87

Hi there

My name is Brett, 26, I'm a self-employed gardener and also a sub-contractor for a landscape gardening business in North Devon.

Recently, I've decided and been interested in gaining a career in tree surgery. I've passed my NPTC CS30 and going to continue progressing onto the CS31, 38 & 39 course. I've had experience in arboriculture doing groundwork with a chainsaw (tree felling, cross-cutting & wood chipping).

Although I'm mainly a gardener with the landscaping company, I/We do and have done tree surgery on the ground within the company. No one within the company does tree climbing but I hopefully want to be a tree surgeon/gardener sub-contractor for this landscaping company and also work self-employed with other arborists and tree surgery firms.

With my current status, I need some advice for what would be the best way to get into tree surgery and to gain the experience I need.

I would be most grateful for some advice on this topic.

Many Thanks

Brett

Hey Bret, welcome to the forum.

I was in a similar situation to you around this time last year apart from I was working for a fencing contractor and wanted a change. I think initially the best advice I can give is to find a group recreational climbing in your area and tag along and have a go at climbing to see how you get on. If you get on well then get on and book to get tickets done and go from there.

I did pretty much the above and at present I have a couple I tree firms I work for regularly which is great for experience and personally I would strongly advise this as I didn't do it initially and found my self way out of my depth on a couple of my own jobs. I now also have a steady 3ish days a week of my own work coming in and sub on the days I have free.

Hope all of the above helps and wish you the best of luck

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App