how easy is a oil pump to fit on a stihl ms460

price steve

hi everyone my name is steve im new here

my ms460 doesnt seem to be oiling properly or at all so im guessing its a problem with the oil pump as the oil pump drive seems to be ok.

was just wondering if it was an easy fix.

thanks

It's fairly straight forward.

The video below will give you an idea, but it's generally a good idea to have the Service Manual and parts list available too. If you don't, then drop me a PM, and I'll see what I can do to help ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXgCSEFQ6MQ]How to Replace the Bar & Chain Oil Pump Worm Gear on a Stihl MS 029 Chainsaw - YouTube[/ame]

If you are unsure that the oil pump is at fault, you should rule out other causes of bad oiling first:

• Blocked oiling hole in bar
  • Blocked oil tank filter
  • Blocked oil channels (tank to pump, pump to bar)
  • Bent worm drive shaft (driven by a notch in the clutch drum)

But I guess you have already done that?

Hi Morton, I have 2 Stihls, MS 260 & MS170 which I use for cutting firewood for myself. Your video fitting a new pump worm was very informative, but unfortunately I couldn't seem to get any sound, so could you help me by explaining why you put a length of pull cord down the bore before you took off the clutch and then again when you put the clutch back? My MS170 is not pumping much oil up, I've compared it to another MS170 and it pumps more than mine. I suppose it could be the pump itself, but thought I would try changing the worm first, as it might be worn. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks,

HoraceB

Hi Morton, I have 2 Stihls, MS 260 & MS170 which I use for cutting firewood for myself. Your video fitting a new pump worm was very informative, but unfortunately I couldn't seem to get any sound, so could you help me by explaining why you put a length of pull cord down the bore before you took off the clutch and then again when you put the clutch back? My MS170 is not pumping much oil up, I've compared it to another MS170 and it pumps more than mine. I suppose it could be the pump itself, but thought I would try changing the worm first, as it might be worn. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks,

HoraceB

check where the black oil pipe from the tank connects to the oil pump - under the saw - this can work loose and reduce any suction action - its a rectangular ending to the pipe from memory which should sit snug in a rectangular cavity and connect to the pump

haven't seen the vid but the pull cord will be to stop the piston moving - effectively locking the crankshaft - to allow for unthreading of the clutch