Beech regen from dead root plate

David Humphries

I was wondering about the decay strategy of Meripilus and googled this - you may have come across it already:

http://www.flac.uk.com/downloads/Meripilusmonograph.pdf

We know that it is a root decay fungus, that it can cause tree failure, that it can persist in the host for several, possibly many, years prior to fructification, and that it has a specific ability to degrade pectin in woody tissue, thus causing longitudinal delamination of the fibres at a cellular level, as well as being a facultative soft rotter that preferentially attacks xylem rays (in Fagus).

We suspect that it is able to infect healthy trees via root grafts, and that it may lead to the development of crown symptoms as root dysfunction progresses. Some practitioners have recorded adventitious root development in infected specimens, and it has even been suggested (though annoyingly I cannot trace the reference) that Meripilus infection can by this mechanism sponsor crown rejuvenation in post-mature specimens.

Some random thoughts / questions.

If the roots are grafted I guess the adjacent tree is also likely to be hosting the Meripilus?

Would the new growth not be able to support itself fairly quickly, rather than relying on the adjacent tree? Particulalry if Meripilus does lead to 'adventitious root development'.

Regarding the regen and the fact it's growing from a Meripilus infected root stock, I suppose it can cope with the situation until it reaches a certain age? Or does Meripilus kill young trees?

I know you're not speculating about the cause of the regen, but I wondered if it had anything to do with the erosion mentioned, exposing surface roots.

I'm not hoping for definitive answers, but I'd be interested in any comments!

Edited by Giles Hill

Alright Giles...Mmmmmmm...and that from the man who promotes crazy bracing designs!

Ahhh, Meripilus. I say promote the myth!(Lonsdale 2009-just 4 U MonkeyD)

Just one comment springs to mind from your quote Giles...It may be a "facultative" soft rotter- no arguments there. It doesnt go far enough imo. It may also be only weakly competitive and function as a recycler . Now think about O2 and compaction (resulting from incremental growth) and the benefits that the fungal life processes may bestow to the rhyzosphere.....

Thanx 4 posting. The article is well worth reading in it's entirity!

Edited by Bundle 2
zpeliing!

• 1 month later...