Honda HRX 476C Mower

bggc

Hi all,

I have a Honda HRX 476c rear roller lawnmower, i need to change the frayed drive cable. Does anybody have any experience of changing this cable themselves as i have read it can be quite involved? Also, does anybody have a workshop manual for this model so i can do it myself? I'v trawled online for the manual but without joy, plenty sites claim to have it but are asking for payment upfront which i'm unsure about.

Many thanks in advance.

I ran a couple of 536QXE for a number of yrs, changed all the cable,gear box's and roller bearings. To change the drive cable, start at the top, release the adjuster off, unhook cable from control bar, remove the bolt in the grey plastic cover over the drive shaft with a 10mm socket (this may be stuck and need some WD40). You will see the end of the cable going into a lever on top of the roller, might need a pair of water pump pliers to hold against the spring, remove old cable and replace with new, hope this helps.

I ran a couple of 536QXE for a number of yrs, changed all the cable,gear box's and roller bearings. To change the drive cable, start at the top, release the adjuster off, unhook cable from control bar, remove the bolt in the grey plastic cover over the drive shaft with a 10mm socket (this may be stuck and need some WD40). You will see the end of the cable going into a lever on top of the roller, might need a pair of water pump pliers to hold against the spring, remove old cable and replace with new, hope this helps.

Sussex Groundie,

Thanks for your reply, that sounds pretty straight forward, the version i heard was alot more involved, assuming that the procedure for our different models are the same of course.

Nice one, thanks, i'v managed to track down a new cable for a tenner from a local garden machinery company and if needed i can download the relevant workshop manual in a pdf file from the honda site you gave me for six quid.

thanks again:thumbup1:

Sorry to say that the 536 is a totally different design to the 476 and is easier to work on.

With the 476 you will need to remove the left roller cover then disconnect the spring which tensions the chain roller. This allows access to a 10mm head bolt which goes through to the underbody panel. Remove this bolt, then tip the mower on to its side. (carb up, engne cold).

Remove the blade and the bolts holding the underbody quadrant in place and remove the quadrant.

You now have access to the gearbox. Note the routing of the original cable before removing and then fit the new one in the same routing. (bit of a fiddle)

Reassemble the underbody, refit the spring and side panel. Bingo!

Sorry to say that the 536 is a totally different design to the 476 and is easier to work on.

With the 476 you will need to remove the left roller cover then disconnect the spring which tensions the chain roller. This allows access to a 10mm head bolt which goes through to the underbody panel. Remove this bolt, then tip the mower on to its side. (carb up, engne cold).

Remove the blade and the bolts holding the underbody quadrant in place and remove the quadrant.

You now have access to the gearbox. Note the routing of the original cable before removing and then fit the new one in the same routing. (bit of a fiddle)

Reassemble the underbody, refit the spring and side panel. Bingo!

GardenKit, thanks for your reply, i'v just got in from working on the mower (can't feel my fingers anymore!) and read your post. As it turned out i did everything you posted, one question for you, did you manage to drop the gear box from it's mountings or re-fit the cable with it in situ? I ask this because this is where i will pick up from tomorrow. It seems to me that the drive sprocket needs removing with a pin punch but it looks like there is little room to lay the punch on its side to remove the roll pin?

bggc, DO NOT try to drop the gearbox!!!

Take the drive belt off and the box will pivot, its a bit of a fiddle, but with some long nose pliers you can get the cable attached with its spring to the clutch arm, then insert the outer cable in its recess. Then attach the handlebar end.

Put the belt back on and check its tension which can be adjusted with the cap head bolt against the gearbox plate.

Good luck.

bggc, DO NOT try to drop the gearbox!!!

Take the drive belt off and the box will pivot, its a bit of a fiddle, but with some long nose pliers you can get the cable attached with its spring to the clutch arm, then insert the outer cable in its recess. Then attach the handlebar end.

Put the belt back on and check its tension which can be adjusted with the cap head bolt against the gearbox plate.

Good luck.

Fair enough, thanks for the heads up on that one.