Holly Disease - Your thoughts please.

Wesste

Hello All,

I am a student in the process of completing an MSc in Arboriculture and Urban Forestry at Myerscough College. As part of this course I am required to conduct a research project. I am currently researhing a particular disease of Holly trees; Holly leaf blight. I am conducting a practical experiment investigating the effects of induced climatic conditions on infected Holly saplings and monitoring the results. I am also conducting a survey of industry professionals to gather thoughts and opinions about this particular pathogen as this disease has received limited research to date.

If you could complete the survey below, I would be very grateful and it should only take between 10-15 minutes. I have also included a brief description about the disease for reference.

Description:

Holly leaf blight (Phytophthora ilicis) is a fungus-like micro-organism which is a specific disease of Holly trees. The disease generally causes leaf dieback and premature leaf-fall, but can also affect young stems. The symptoms, as shown in the image below, are dark blotches or areas of leaf necrosis often with a distinctive dark band around the infected area. Similarly on young stems the infection is identified by a ‘blackening’ and necrosis. In hedgerows it can cause an inverted V shape where lower leaves have died.

563555_10151333020403884_1355967641_n.jpg

Survey link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Gab1qfcD4v5bo9eu74O_19b0wAAG56tuNM-Uz5gstR0/viewform

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey and if you have any questions please contact me.

Cheers.

Steve. :001_smile:

Thanks for filling out the survey, really is appreciated.

That's the idea of doing the study.... Just trying to gauge whether it is one of those diseases that goes unnoticed - especially with new diseases all the time - and could be a serious problem in the future.

Thanks again.

Wesste

Nimby, thank you for completing the survey. I am not too sure on it's current spread but wondering if it will be a disease that goes relatively un-noticed what with all the other tree pests/diseases we have at the moment.

Will probably post the finished product on the forum in the near future.

No worries you're welcome. I did struggle with the survey though as I have not noticed the problem. I will get back on here if I see anything.

Hollies in this Borough are massive. We have an area that I presume is slightly acidic soil and Holly seeds like no other.

Keep us updated on your findings.