predator r28 stumpgrinder.....hows yours?

SABRE10

Hi Ian,

Could you let me know what sort of issues you have had with this machine. I would like to see if i can help. I know the Predator machinery very well.

The Predator 28R machines are normally very good. All the teething problems have been sorted.

Get in touch soon.

Hi Mark

I am pleased your not experiencing difficulty with predator machinery, my limited interaction with the brand has not been so good.

My machine has not been reliable at all.........

My machine is approx 20 months old now and has done just over 100 hrs from new...... to save me writing an essay I will put aside all the times it broke down while under warranty in its first year

Since the warranty expired my machine has worked on 7 occassions ( approx 15 hours) and broken down on 5 of those occassions (all unrelated)

This has caused me hours of downtime, left me with jobs half finished and Customer Goodwill (which I strive to maintain) is hard to keep when your stumpgrinder releases hydraulic oil all over the clients lawn.

On the last occassion it broke (vibration within the boom severed a wire that disabled the cutting wheel) the machine developed a further 2 unrelated problems while back in the care of the service agent!!

the first while it was being tracked off the trailer..... rear housing became loose and started to shudder excessively!! - Redwood had to completely modify my stumpgrinder to rectify this by securing the rear section with bolts down into the frame ?!?

and the second fault occurred on collection day - the machine would not start..... so an alternator and a battery later and I was away......

Maybe im just unlucky and are a stand alone case or maybe my machine is possessed !!

Ian

Hi everyone iv'e had a 28t for 3 years and it's done 465 hours it was converted for me to work in the norfolk broads it had the next size chassis fitted and i had to get some over size tracks 10 inch to give me a ground pressure of less than a man.It also a ride platform fitted as you could not walk behind it you sank in , Also fitted with winching eyes at each end and a belly plate fitted . I did have some initial proplems with it the tanks started to split with the vibration and these where sorted with the rubber mounted tanks [a later mod] i did have a clutch go after 15 hours the new one is still going strong. In my opinion 2 factors caused the clutch to fail 1 not bedding in the clutch correctly ,2 and over heating of the clutch assembly

1 was overcome by correct beding in somthing i was not told when i purchased the machine i sure it is explained now in the hand book .

2 over heating of the clutch was cured by taking the clutch cover of and fitting a electric fan onto the housing and drilling holes the opposit side so air could be blown across the clutch,the fan was a small radiator fan 8 inch of a car and was wired to a switch on the control box so in hot weather or hard work it could be switched on and of as required hey presto no proplems , all in all a very good machine Just on thing with the photo if you can see the cutting teeth working the sharp flint can see you the safty protection is there for a resone use it