Pine - speedline

RC0

[ame]

[/ame]

On some of these limbs, the guy on the lowering/control line was too slow in letting the line run. He had the line on the GRCS....but we rarely used it, save for a few lower limbs that needed lifting. On most of those that needed tension, we supplied that with the chipper winch on the speedline which allowed the back and side limbs to be swung around to the drop zone. This requires the speed line be tip or at least mid tied, whic creates a bight in the speed line, which was then pulled out with the winch. Then, as the load nears the LZ, we slacked the portawrap which was attached between the chipper winch line and the speedline. Alternatively, we could have just slacked the chipper winch. A few times the portawrap was out to far, and the slung branches stuck on it.

It's always faster to be able to just let the branches fly....but that requires a whole mess of slings...which we have, or course.

Edited by rbtree

Rookies, the lot of ya's......

:001_tt1:

Well this thread had a real calm ambience about it…..and then you showed up!

Re: the first vid -

On some of these limbs, the guy on the lowering/control line was too slow in letting the line run. He had the line on the GRCS

Every time? How come?

It wasn’t until the camera switched to the aerial view that I could fully appreciate why a speed-line was used at all…at which point the shrubs/trees around the base became apparent. Might it have been possible to sneak a crane in there for the same money? Not that it appeared you were stretched but it still would have saved a lot of time and effort….

110ft, get out a here, Eric!

Second –

What happened at 2.40, too heavy?

Always a pleasure Rog:001_cool:

Well this thread had a real calm ambience about it…..and then you showed up!

Re: the first vid -

Every time? How come?

It wasn’t until the camera switched to the aerial view that I could fully appreciate why a speed-line was used at all…at which point the shrubs/trees around the base became apparent. Might it have been possible to sneak a crane in there for the same money? Not that it appeared you were stretched but it still would have saved a lot of time and effort….

110ft, get out a here, Eric!

Second –

What happened at 2.40, too heavy?

Always a pleasure Rog:001_cool:

What Reg said!

Hi guys.....

We did crane the wood out. But the drop zone had two much in the way to consider craning the brush....which would have meant craning too many limbs, which would have cost too much in crane time.

Originally, I thought I'd crane the tops, but we rigged em all....there was an Indian longhouse directly under the tree.

Omar wasn't doing a great job at transitioning the GRCS from hold mode to run mode.....I never bothered trying to correct that fault. The job was a lot of fun, though....it was maybe 16 months ago. Later, when I was in the tree, I think things went smoothly.

The other job, there was a reason we let some of those limbs drop so far. One was to limit shock loading on the speed line, another, if I recall correctly, was that the speedline point was quite a ways away, even in the other tree, for some of the cuts. So we just let them drop, then backed the pickup up to lift them out of the blackberry infested uphill slope. There was no reason to have a lowering/control line, which would have required more manpower, and a guy under the action, never a good thing with brittle cottonwood.

Reminiscent of this job where we lifted the brush right off the ground....

[ame]

[/ame]

too late to edit the last post....so

I do recall the speed line was too slack a coupla times....but we remedied that by pulling em up and out, eh?

I think that first cottonwood was more like 175, eh, Reg......:001_cool:

Edited by rbtree