South West Climbers.

High Scale

Hello all, a friend off mine has organized a gathering for fun and also to share some ideas and techniques, here is what he has to say in the email he sent me.

hi folks

I may have text some of you already about an arby weekend camp that is happening on the 28th (evening of), 29th & 30th of September. News is, its still on and will take place on the outskirts of Wotton under edge, which is some 15 miles north of Bristol.

The idea is very much a social weekend. The site is on the edge of the Cotswold escarpment with some great short walks and views. The field we will be staying in is next to a small woodland, with longer walks and larger woodlands very close by. There is a fire place for use, so bring some 'orrible knotty chunky reluctant to split piece of hardwood that keeps cropping up in your splitting pile too save your sanity and keep us warm, especially if it is dry!

The other motive for the gathering, as most of you already well know (the geekyness shines through i'm sure) is too have (from 12ish on Saturday) an open forum/discussion on tree climbing techniques, to give us a chance to review what we do for a living. There will also be an approach to re kindle some emergency preparedness and an emphasis to see how we could improve our awareness and ability to perform potentially, complex rescue situations. It would be good if everyone interested in looking at these ideas/climbing stuff, could bring there own climbing kit so that a practical outcome of suitable configurations can be achieved.

Take, leave or add what you wish, this really is an open discussion. Join at the start, walk away when you've had enough or join in later on, no pressure, its easy. If someone leaves the weekend with just one tried, tested, understood idea, there is a possibility in the future one of us may benefit hugely.

Right ill stop the ramble. All are welcome for one or both nights, all weekend or just for discussion/demos on sat.

The site is predominately a scout and guide activities centre, with 1.5 acre of field to camp in. If people wish to bring non arbys, little potential arbys, wags or habs etc, they are welcome to stay and we will split the field too retain some peace in one area.

Basic facilities include running water, electric supply, toilet, refrigerator and i think, some kitchen stuff are available.

It is advisable to bring all your own sleeping arrangements, food and cooking stuff. There are shops in the town which is a walk or short drive away. The charge for using the site is just £3 a night but any donations/additions toward the scout/guide groups would be much appreciated.

If there are any questions please email or text. Though be aware i've only just leaped into the 21st century, so you may get a quicker response if you text!

Sound as peeps...

Look forward too seeing you there

Mike

I am sorry this is such short notice but I only just received this email, if you are interested or need anymore instructions please send me a PM HS