Long haul ascents

Dan Curtis

This is something I've been playing with the last few weeks. The cord between the croll and bridge ring is a bungee cord. It lifts the croll when you take the weight off, which makes for a step by step ascent. With a bit of practice you can ascend hands free on either Ddrt or SRT, SRT needing LOTS.

It took a while to adjust the length of the cord but I reckon it's about spot on for me now. I usually take heaving great strides with the pantin but this system is all about baby steps, and getting in the rhythm. If you flick your left foot a little as you lift it, you also gain a bit extra distance from the recoil of the bungee.

I'll tidy up the long ends on the bungee, just gave myself plenty to play with when working out the length. The strop ring on the sling as a footloop was shown to me by James Tilling, easy, cheap and locks tight to your foot :thumbup1:

Apologies for the poor pictures, I was watching the battery die on my phone, I'll see if i can get some better ones tomorrow.

20120828_185026.jpg.fb969cbbea772571fe1945600ee2e7f9.jpg

20120828_184753.jpg.70c44ed10f746b1b4e27ac994cdbdc84.jpg

20120828_184603.jpg.40c9a856552b88f0aac7b70dedba68f5.jpg

20120828_184307.jpg.83bc52c02a5dffd684558a3b3dac64dd.jpg

I don't think I'll use it a lot, just nice to have when it's needed. Certain trees I miss having a microfrog but refuse to use it because of the changeovers:biggrin:

I carry a little harness bag with slings and revolvers for re directs so would pack up nicely in there when not in use. It doesn't take too long to put on the line, as long as you don't pull it out with the footloop wrapped up around everything!

I'm a keeping it simple person, normally don't have any more than a pantin. I never use LOTS or a hand ascender with the LJ combo.

Was it your uni I had at the arb show? I like it, but with all the fall arrest faff, didn't really get a proper play on it. I am toying with the idea of getting one though, did you get yours from Sherrill? I've heard the import tax can vary quite a bit