Portugal

Lancstree

We're now looking at portugal because its a bit cheaper than a lot of other european places - for flights and accommodation at least. Can anyone reccommend a good spot? Been looking at the Algarve as that is where the sea is warmer and the weather better but I don't want to be somewhere tacky and unfriendly. I heard Albufieira is a bit like that. Whats driving like over there?

Cheers for the info treesurfer. I've looked into Alvor and found a pretty fair priced place not far from the old town. Its about 2 hours from the airport but that shouldn't be a problem cos I'm thinking of hiring a car anyway. Any sights or places to drive to you might recommend?

I can't recommend the Algarve enough. The wife and I have stayed at Alvor and although the hotel was 20 minutes' walk from then beach it was a lovely place. The food is fantastic, the people friendly enough and the driving atypical of mainland Europe; although it was pretty quiet where we were. We're definitely going to go bacl at some point; for the food if nothing else.

Just as treesufer78 says its great.

I spent a week there about 5 years ago Alvor that is. Fantastic food and super cold beer,

worth checking out at night for the street markets. Night life is in short supply but that suits me. have a look at it on google earth. :001_cool:

Haven't been on this thread for a while so sorry for no replies. Big Boss, I'm sorry I missed your offer but its too late for me this time because I've booked and paid. By the good reports posted here I'm sure I'll enjoy it so I'll maybe sort something out with you for next time I go Big Boss.

What sort of things can I do around Alvor or daytrips away? I've got a hire car sorted.

Monchique is worth a visit, had some fantastic Plane trees to look at and you can drink from the fountain of youth which apparently knocks 10 years off you - I've been at least half a douzen times and I'm 31 so not sure how that works....they also do lovely chicken Piri Piri there too!

http://www.monchiqueportugal.com