Course Options

Easty

Hi guys, I am looking pretty seriously at doing an arb course in 2013 but had a few questions which I was hoping people could answer.

1 - As far as qualifications (Lvl 1/2/3 etc) does that give you any advantage when it comes to the job market, the only reason is because I dont want to do a course where I learn plenty on the academic side, but when it comes down to the actual job it does not help much.

2 - As far as courses and the like is there anything employers look for specifically (like level 3 arb) or do they want someone with the relevant tickets who is hardworking, punctual, good attitude etc :001_smile:

Sorry for noob questions, I am totally new to this so just trying to get some opinions from people who have been there!

Thanks!

Ideally find yourself a course that combines the academic side with the practical side. It depends what job you want to get, but if you want to do anything with a saw/chipper/climbing then the relevant paperwork is a MUST. Everything else is just a bonus.

Maybe do the RFS Cert Arb and pick up the CS units at a local training centre?

Where are you based?

Cheers HCR, I am based in Cambridgeshire at the moment.

I want to get into tree surgery (gonna be booking mt CS30 to get the ball rolling) so I know I got plenty of work ahead!

Thanks for RHS suggestion, that is not something I knew about so will check it out.

Ideally I would like to do an academic course, but get my CS certs at the same time, have got some voluntary stuff coming up so its early days yet.

Thanks for the reply :001_smile:

Hi. I know a very good college to learn Arboriculture. Its the Capel Manor College. The address is af follows:-

Capel Manor College

Bullsmoor Lane

Enfield

Middlesex

EN1 4RQ

Tel: 08456 122 122

They have a department called School of Arboriculture & Countryside. It's Head of school is Stuart Bonnet.

Tel: 08456 122 122

I think you will get definite help from them. Many of their students had setup their own tree business & also working in good firms in the field of arboriculture.

• 4 weeks later...

HCR - thanks for that, I called them up today and after a good chat it was recommended I start with the ABC Level 2 Certificate to begin with, then look at the Level 4/6 in the future.

Stuart - Thanks, I need to call up Capel at some point this week to run things through with them, thats good news that I can get my tickets and classroom based work at the same time.

Thanks gents!