education of apprentices

Huey B

some good comments about this subject,pleased with my young fellow and experience combined with college tuition is the best way forward,if you impress as an apprentice then word soon gets around,would just like to see them re jig the sylabus and listen to what industry needs,after all as tax payers we are paying for it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the verge of finishing my BSc in arb at myerscough. I had some of my tickets before I started in 2009. However if I had just carried on learning off the tools my knowledge would be nowhere near what it is now.

The HE level qualifications level 4 and above are a much more in depth knowledge and also include surveying and hazard and risk management.

Learning about the biology on the way is tricky.

If I handed in my CV with a BSc (level 6) in arb on and all the relevant tickets but only 3 years part time experience, and a lad with a level 3 diploma hands his in with the same tickets and 2 years full time experience, who would be the better person to have in your eyes?

Good comments Rob - I agree with the fact you wouldnt know as much theoretical knowledge as you do if you hadnt taken the route you did!

In terms of who would be the better person - thats an impossible question, but i certainly think theres no direct answer just because one has done more theory and one has done more practical, it depends on the person.

I know a few very 'theoretical' clever arbs who have done the college / uni thing, extremely clever but cant climb / cut with any efficiency and I know some 'my grandad tought me all i need to know' arbs who may not have immense knowledge but can keep up with the best of them on site.

My original comment really was that people should have a background knowledge of trees before doing CS units and walking into the world expecting a job - as opposed to the original thread starter whos point was veering towards just practical experience required.

I will state that I would rather work with a slightly naive arb in terms of knowledge but who has guts and is happy to work and learn.

Than a guy who judges his skill on what he talked about in Uni.

This is a practical industry and unfortunately theres far more people who forget the vital ingredient is the right attitude, a bit of luck and hard work.

Lastly - the above is a general concensus on my opinion and dont claim everyone who goes to Uni is a nonse! your clearly a skilled arb both theoretically and practically and im sure others are too. Theres several paths to learning in this career and it depends on the person on which they choose.

:001_smile:

Something you need to bear in mind is that doing courses with a high theory content with a qualification at the end, i.e. NVQ this or that, demonstrates that the student has some intellectual capability, can study and complete course work and pass exams. So the qualification is transferable and might help the student get a job in an area not related to arb, or help them get onto a HE course at uni. There are uni courses and jobs where they ask for a number of 'A' levels or equivalent, and an NVQ3 is equivalent to 2 A levels. From that perspective, it's a good thing. Doing a bunch of CS tickets shows you know how to handle a chainsaw safely, climb and fell trees etc. But you can still be intellectually challenged and perhaps not suited to anything other than practical tree work. A CS ticket is probably equivalent to a 25 metre swimming certificate on a job app for something not requiring chainsaw use :biggrin:

Edited by Pedroski

Something you need to bear in mind is that doing courses with a high theory content with a qualification at the end, i.e. NVQ this or that, demonstrates that the student has some intellectual capability, can study and complete course work and pass exams. So the qualification is transferable and might help the student get a job in an area not related to arb, or help them get onto a HE course at uni. There are uni courses and jobs where they ask for a number of 'A' levels or equivalent, and an NVQ3 is equivalent to 2 A levels. From that perspective, it's a good thing. Doing a bunch of CS tickets shows you know how to handle a chainsaw safely, climb and fell trees etc. But you can still be intellectually challenged and perhaps not suited to anything other than practical tree work. A CS ticket is probably equivalent to a 25 metre swimming certificate on a job app for something not requiring chainsaw use :biggrin:

Very good point - I didnt mention or take into account the transferabilty of the theoretical courses over the CS units - CS units being obviously very specific.

Good point well made.