Climbing rope lengths & make

Arran Turner

I wanted create a shorter rope for hedges and small trees, and I was going to use the marlow to do so because it is cheap, then buy a more expensive rope for my main climbing line :001_smile:

If I prefer the marlow gecko after getting a new rope it'll be my loss :001_smile:

Arran

What I said might have been a bit strong. But I stand by the gist of it. An expensive new rope isn't going to make a huge difference to your climbing. Also having an assortment of ropes is only going to be more stuff to lug about. If I were you I'd stick with what you have invested in, until you get to a point where either it's worn out, not long enough, or you have got to the point where the limitations of your current equipment is hampering you.

But then, that's just my opinion. Plenty of people on here will disagree.

Don't forget folks, before you go dissing any brand of rope you have to remember that the big commercial competitors don't often take a lot of care over the rope they produce.

Often running their machines at full tilt from the beginning of the rope to the end without paying attention for example to things like bobbin adjustment or allowing for the change in tension as the bobbin size reduces. That can mean that one end of the same batch of rope is far tighter than the other affecting performance, handling and ware. In fact some of the stuff they do like over heat setting dynamic rope to increase fall factor figures and sales is pretty scary.

I understand that your mate makes ropes and you want to help him out but that is a pretty bold statement without some back-up. Are your mate's ropes CE tested? Have been climbing on Samson and New England ropes for years and never had a problem myself. I firmly believe them to be quality products.

What I said might have been a bit strong. But I stand by the gist of it. An expensive new rope isn't going to make a huge difference to your climbing.

A good low stretch rope is going to take some of the grunt out of long ascents though. And a short rope for small trees and connies saves time dragging a shorter tail around the tree.

I understand that your mate makes ropes and you want to help him out but that is a pretty bold statement without some back-up. Are your mate's ropes CE tested? Have been climbing on Samson and New England ropes for years and never had a problem myself. I firmly believe them to be quality products.

Hi Scotty, sorry for the delay in reply I missed yer posting.

My mates ropes are NFPA rated for North America. . "CE", UIAA or EN are European norms. Their ropes meet

the same standards but have never through that certification process. They don't need too because they don't export to Europe. They also doesn't need any help from me or extra advertizing, I was just offering a channel for North American climbers to buy what I would consider to be superior rope through.

As for backing up my claims that Big name ropes can be inconsistent, well I can only go on what I've seen practiced at rope factories. Nothing but hearsay you're right.

Hi Scotty, sorry for the delay in reply I missed yer posting.

My mates ropes are NFPA rated for North America. . "CE", UIAA or EN are European norms. Their ropes meet

the same standards but have never through that certification process. They don't need too because they don't export to Europe. They also doesn't need any help from me or extra advertizing, I was just offering a channel for North American climbers to buy what I would consider to be superior rope through.

As for backing up my claims that Big name ropes can be inconsistent, well I can only go on what I've seen practiced at rope factories. Nothing but hearsay you're right.

No worries RE delay mate. Unless you want to live on here like some of the lads, they are to be expected. What's the company's name? Do they have a website? I have a couple of friends working over there who may or may not be interested. Did you work in any of said factories or just visit out of interest? Not looking for you to name any companies.

No worries RE delay mate. Unless you want to live on here like some of the lads, they are to be expected. What's the company's name? Do they have a website? I have a couple of friends working over there who may or may not be interested. Did you work in any of said factories or just visit out of interest? Not looking for you to name any companies.

I toured several rope factories as part of research I was involved in.

The manufacturer I was recommending is Esprit Ropes

They mostly produce rope for fire and search rescue services.