Monkey Puzzle seeding tips wtd

clyde

Question

hi guys

tried to grow monkey puzzles for a few years now with little success, managed to produce 3 plants out of around 50 seeds potted, seeds are in are in sharp sand/peat mix placed in poly tunnel. what is there a best time to collect the cones, tried a few tricks frezzing and light torching but still having the same results, was also looking to try dawn redwoods any advise welcome.

To add to my wife's reply, unfortunately most "exotic conifer" seed appears to be virtually sterile when grown in our Northern hemisphere, if of UK origin -it will rarely germinate - this applies to Wellingtonia, Monkey Puzzle, Taxodium, Metasequoia, Southern Pinus and Picea.

Try sourcing seed from Chiltern Seeds, which although expensive, is generally viable and OKfor small quantities, but DO follow germination instructions and invest in damping off fungicidal treatment such as Cheshunt Compound.

Tim

You can pick up good seed from ebay so long as you read the vendors feedback, do a little research from other purchasers on on the web. Evidently some local trees that are reliable.

I've just taken delivery of 3 dozen 4 yr old trees at a bargain price from one ebay seller I contacted. I'll give them a couple of weeks in a cold greenhouse then repot them on into way bigger pots for another couple of years outdoors before moving them to their final positions...then wait another 25 years or so for a crop....not that the math on my age looks too promising like that :-)