Heightec Tree Hopper

WorcsWuss

Purely out of curiosity, does anyone else climb in one of these?

I bought one a while ago as it seemed 'cheap and cheerful' and quite compact [i'm not a big bloke at 5'10" & 'athletically built', although my wife keeps telling me I'm larger round the 'girth' than I would have myself believe these days - and I don't think she's massaging my ego either] and, as I don't live in it, I wouldn't even have considered a Treemotion or similar.

Can't say I'm disappointed, it's pretty comfy, although I do have to slacken off the leg straps to go to the pub..... otherwise it forces me to walk like I've done a 30 minute 1 to 1 study session with the chaplain at my old boarding school....

Seems nicely made although the fixed central attachment point would limit lifespan somewhat for a more intensive user than me....

I do find it a bit tiring when hanging from it though, it's nice to climb & branch walk in but after a few minutes of hanging the effort required to keep myself upright gets a bit trying... the compactness at the front has bitten it on the backside a bit there...

So I guess the point of this pointless rambling is that if you're buying, a Hopper is good harness if you're short and slim and spend most of your work time footed in the tree. If you do a lot of hanging around then your back's going to suffer.

Anyone else have opinions on this harness...? Based on fact obviously....

Peace out...

Simon

That's what I have found, feels like doing sit ups on your lower back....

It's very easy to get up the tree though... I'm not big on thrusting all the way up, I'm a bit out of shape, but on the odd occasion that I do [when I can't be arsed to stick the foot loop back on] it does allow nice free movement in that motion. The last tree I bodythrust all the way up [into!] was an old oak to take the lower limbs off, I'm pretty sure that for someone who doesn't sit at a desk all day long it would have been even easier...!

50th post....

Have you suffered from a bit of mid-30's spread yet Drew? You were like a racing snake last time I saw you....

I think if I tried a different harness now I would very quickly see more of the Hopper's shortcomings... The back pad isn't very supportive and the low attachment point makes that a bigger deal than it could have been. And I find the buckles impossible to slacken off in gloves....

Simon

still fighting it simon!! itll happen but nz is workin its magic.for now. mine was called the NARC treehopper when i got it, it had just been designed by Mick Cottam-one of my lecturers at myerscough at the time.

Im hopefully back in UK june next year for a month or 2-will be good to catchup and have a climb and and some beers

Definitely should, hit the bright lights of Tenbury... you can share some of your wisdom too, maybe I'll be able to get over my irrational / incompatible fear of heights!

I didn't realise you went to Myerscough.

I quite like the look of the Harkie harness. Big bucks though.... For now though I reckon the tree hopper will do me just fine.