wood burner choice

Logrover

Right this is the fireplace in question..... it has been boared up at the back i think as there is electric there and the chimney opening has been blocked up....so i can do this myself with permission but is it worth it or too much work??? what do people think???

houses022.jpg

True, but carbon monoxide from a dodgy stove installation is just as good at killing you as carbon monoxide from anything else!

You are quite free to fit your own stove - there's no question of that. To make it a legal job, the installation needs to be signed off by the building control department at the council. If not signed off, and if there's any sort of problem, then you WILL be held liable. Have a read through Building regulations Part J - that will tell you all you need to now about making an installation compliant.

A liner is not always necessary, but in most cases, the stove will work better with one. I wouldn't touch a Clarke stove even for the workshop - they are the poorest of poor, and you'll end up with something more or less uncontrollable that will require feeding like an elephant at the zoo. The last pot belly stove of theirs I saw didn't even have seals on the door - they really are rubbish. I'd buy a half decent second hand stove and then take it with you when you go!

I'd also get a sweep in to give the chimney the once over before you buy anything else - I think there's one on the sweeps forum up your way - can check for you if you like?

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks for the info!! I have a sweep brush and poles from a garage clearout years ago so if i get permission il carefully take all the boarding out so i can replace it if i have to...............thenil sweep the chimney and do a smoke test, maybe get someone to have a look who knows about these things then not get a clarke one thats crap but look for asensible price one and fit with/without a liner whatever is best then get it checked and signed off...everyones happy!!!:thumbup1:

Quick pointer on smoke tests - lighting a smoke pellet in the fireplace isn't a smoke test as many people seem to think! A proper test needs two of you. You'll need to just about seal the fireplace up with plastic sheet or use the board that's there already which would be even better, and then light a pellet or two behind the sheeting. Your mate stationed up on the roof by the chimney pot with an armful of rag or an old sheet or similar waits for the smoke to appear, and then bungs the sheet into the chimney pot to seal it. At the same time, you finish off sealing the bottom end. The smoke expands and slightly pressurises the chimney, which will then show up any leaks. Lighting a pellet in the fireplace alone tells you nothing more than there's a draught up the flue.

Andy

I'm just going through this now, replacing a rubbish multifuel stove with a woodburner in a rented place.

My contract forbids any alterations without getting permission from the landlord. Understandably, he wants everything doing properly and signing off, because he's thinking about future tenants and his insurance if it all goes wrong.

I thought about doing it myself and having it signed off by the council, until I found out how much they charged for this: they wanted £300. The HETAS bloke we had in quoted £75 (no liner needed, just fit the stove, CO alarm and info plate.