Setting up rigging gear

Lancstree

There are many rigging products and combinations available today but I'm restricted to working with some fairly basic kit. Sometimes when I'm up a tree setting up ropes and pulleys, I try to think of easier ways of doing it. For example, getting the rigging line sent up with block and carabiners ready to go. What I'm after is some ideas on how to carry this gear about the tree more efficiently to safe strain and frustration.

Another example; Just lowered a piece and groundy ties a slip knot leaving a long 2-3m tail so that when the rope is sent up the slip knot acts as a stopper in the pulley and the tail can then be attached to the next piece, rather than battle with the weight of the whole rope.

If I'm moving the block around the crown for different lowering positions, I always separate the block from the lowering line using the pin so that the block can be set without the weight of the rope pulling it out of the tree.

Does anyone like loopies for ease of setting the block on the small diameter stuff?

when you have the pulley sent up get the rope put through with a knot in the end ready threaded with a marlin spike the other side so you can clip it to your harness to be able to tie it on ready to go without any chance of dropping it:thumbup:

similar for using it to move around the tree:thumbup:

have you done your CS41

Edited by bob
added a bit

Both good tips. I have the pulley sent up in a similar fashion to your description bob but I think the marlin spike might be a better choice for undoing than the slip knot. I used a redirect pulley today which came in really useful but thinking of it I could make a lot more use out it. I like to learn off other people when I get the chance. Not got CS41 Bob. They are putting us on a aerial rescue and use of saw in tree refresher totalling 3 days but they might as well have made it a week training and had the CS41 included. Should be interesting though!