Compressors for Air-Spades

Simon. O.

Hi,

I'm about to buy an air-spade. But have not worked with compressors before.

Can any one tell me if the air-spade coupling is compatible with most compressors available for hire. Also, is it possible to regulate the pressure on most compressors to meet the air-spades 90psig optimal requirement. Or do I need to look for a particular size or model.

One more thing do hired compressors come with a decent length of hose, as there's only 10ft with the air-spade.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Simon,

The size of compressor you need will depend on the nozzle you purchase with the air-spade. The one we bought came with a 'standard' 150 scfm nozzle. I have found this to be a pain in the ass as according to the manufacturers guidance a 105 nozzle requires a 175-185 scfm compressor which is bigger than most you can hire from your local tool hire shop.

The general rule is that the compressor should always be larger than the nozzle.

If I were you I would get the 105 scfm nozzle so you can run the air-spade on a 125 scfm compressor. These are readily available from most tool hire companies for quite cheap. I recently got a price for the smaller nozzle and it came in at £300 so it's worth choosing right first time! However - I cannot comment yet on the difference in performance. Obviously a large nozzle is going to shift soil quicker...

Re the hoses. Ours (from Fletcher Stewart) came with hose couplings called something like 'california connectors' (that may not be the correct name). These DID NOT fit on to a standard hose connector so we had to get a new connector fitted on the end of the short piece of hose that comes with the air-spade. Check this before you buy.

Hire companies only charge a small fee for extra hose with a compressor. I normally get two 8 foot lengths for about £10.

Hope that helps (and wish I had asked someone all this before I bought ours!!).

Our Air spade was also from Fletcher-stewart. The conectors provided with our fit all compessors we have hired in.

Paul is correct that finding a large enough compressor can be a pain. I use A-Plant with their multi tool compressor. Cost's me £40 + vat per day average incl hoses.

The longer the hose the the more wind you need. I allways hire at least 20metres of extra hose so I can stay out of the RPZs!