the future of forestry and FC in the UK

europeantrees

I realise and have read the existing threads on the forestry sell off, but wanted to guage opinion as to what the views are now considering we are all being given the chance to put our opinions to the independent forestry panel.

Are there any worries about whether the Woodland Trust or NT taking large portions of public forest estate? Are the practitioners left out of the picture too much and should be given a chance to have voice on the panel?

I have read the idea that it might be good for the practitioners to form syndicates and therefore make the most amount of money from possible future sales, this sounds good to me?

Any thoughts would be great, or if this has been discussed elsewhere point me in the right direction,

thanks

The make up of the panel worry me. There seems to be no voice from the industry on board. As for the National trust of the Woodland trust taking on some the ground from the Forestry Commission. I don't think they could afford to the sheer cost of and maintenance would be more than they can bear.

The panel members are what concern me also, but the news this week that an alternative panel will be confronting the panel is slightly more heartening. There is still no real voice from the industry or practitioners though.

Our Forests Panel

My worry is that forestry will become flooded with volunteers, I wouldnt put it past the Woodland Trust to train up old grannies to operate harvesters.

Woodland Trust leasing forests is strange, but I am sure they are positioning themselves to get more involved in carbon credits and possible planning credits market, thus many smaller woodlands will be treated as nothing more than long term assets.

The more I think about the idea of forester syndicats taking on responsibility for their local forest as discussed in the forestry sell off thread on here, it seems a cracking idea and ticks all the boxes that the panel, defra and campaigners are searching for. When some of the miners took over their mines as a cooperative their salaries increased dramtically, with forestry which has such a strong future it will cut out all the middle tier spongers and lead to just wages and respect for those in the profession and on the ground.

The more I think about the idea of forester syndicats taking on responsibility for their local forest as discussed in the forestry sell off thread on here, it seems a cracking idea and ticks all the boxes that the panel, defra and campaigners are searching for. When some of the miners took over their mines as a cooperative their salaries increased dramtically, with forestry which has such a strong future it will cut out all the middle tier spongers and lead to just wages and respect for those in the profession and on the ground.

Surely contractors with their heads screwed on can do it on their own without a syndicate? I reckon syndicates could get messy - too many differing ideas within it and then it all falls to bits - just my opinion.

Surely contractors with their heads screwed on can do it on their own without a syndicate? I reckon syndicates could get messy - too many differing ideas within it and then it all falls to bits - just my opinion.

I agree, it is a common situation here on the continent and works well particularly when the timber sales are via a cooperative. But the over inflated price of much of the UK forest estate would cut out many smaller operatives. wouldn't it?

The trouble with the Forestry Commission is it's not making any money. It's not doing what it was set up to do supply timber you forgot to many groups with their own agenda within the organisation. It shouldn't be cutting down trees for habitat restoration, biodiversity, Heath and more restoration. Creating car parks and cycle tracks. One of the local woods near me has had a new car park built a forestry track made up with crushed stone for bikes, horses and pedestrians. And guess what, you're no longer be allowed to use it for extraction of timber. And when working near the car park every time you take a step you have got to be looking out for the dog ****.

Is no one slightly concerned about the effect that the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) will have on the future of UK forests? You can smokescreen any financial/economic led policy with an environmental spin! Panel decisions on the future of the estate will not only look at the lack of financial viability that forestry in the UK currrently suffers, but the longer term value of wood as a energy/fuel asset - This is potentially more worrying than private sell off!!!!

The trouble with the Forestry Commission is it's not making any money. It's not doing what it was set up to do supply timber you forgot to many groups with their own agenda within the organisation. It shouldn't be cutting down trees for habitat restoration, biodiversity, Heath and more restoration. Creating car parks and cycle tracks. One of the local woods near me has had a new car park built a forestry track made up with crushed stone for bikes, horses and pedestrians. And guess what, you're no longer be allowed to use it for extraction of timber. And when working near the car park every time you take a step you have got to be looking out for the dog ****.

Or worse, when I was working in UK always remember that woods near main roads had a variety of unpleasant unwantables, dog mess being the least unpleasant.

Gabriel Hemery has just published the following on his blog, which given his role on the ginger panel at least means that some measure of real progressive forestry will be considered - More forest plantations less green fuzz

Edited by europeantrees