The V.T.A method explained

What is VTA? Visual Tree Assesment:thumbup1:

The VTA method is an internationally spread and acknowledgment method for tree inspection, hazard symptoms are construed, defects are confirmed and measured and criteria of failure are assessed.

VTA helps to distinguish apparent hazardous trees from those that are really hazardous. This way safe trees are protected.

VTA gives information about the body language and the mechanics of trees and instructs you in the correct use of IML test and measuring instruments.

The partial stages of the VTA method:

1. Inspection for detect symptoms

Body language of trees

Growth defects

Appearance of the bark

Crown and leaves

Fungal fruiting bodies and their body language

Local environment of the tree

2. Confirmation of defects and measurement

Sound velocity measurement (IML Micro Hammer)

Drilling techniques (IML-RESI Systems)

Measurement of the wood strength (Fractometer)

Annual ring analysis (IML Measuring Table)

3. Assessment of the defect

Criteria of failure for hollow or decayed trees

Criteria of failure for root damages

Criteria of failure for trees that are healthy but high trees

(H/D ratio!)

4. Determination of further actions

Pruning

Mechanical aid (crow securing system, stilts,...)

Replacement of the tree

Advantages of the VTA method:

The VTA method is applied all over the world. The VTA method focuses on the comprehension of the body language of trees

Sound measurement and drilling techniques only are supposed to confirm and dimension detected defects.

The one who knows the body language of trees will be able to distinguish between hazard trees and trees that only appear to be a hazard tree. He will fell less trees and increase the security of traffic.

Distinguishing between foreseeable and unforeseeable accidents, the VTA method makes its contribution to law and order. Founded liability claims can be settled and unfounded ones can be rejected.

Therefore, the VTA method is neither pro-tree nor anti-tree.

In the event of damage, this method makes it possible to obtain a suitable decision.

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Ive put this thread together for the many on here who appear to have no foundation of knowledge on the subject of VTA or the body language of trees. I've (in the past) posted threads on VTA symptoms and used terminology, and realised that i have taken my own learning for granted on this subject assuming it was common knowledge (which it really should be these days!) Dont be shy, this is VTA from the ground up, so ask away discuss, be aware.

Can you recommend any books on the topic Tony? VTA by numbers, VTA for dummies etc? :) would like something new to occupy my brain

the updated VTA handbook is the one i would buy if only had budget for one of the series, it is the one that is most essential. I love that book, youll never regret buying this, at around 27 pounds from jo at treesource it isnt that cheap for its size but the content is massively important.:001_cool: