For anyone working the whole tree SRT..

BenR

Mentioned in another thread, I have been trying to get used to climbing the whole tree SRT using a singing tree rope wrench. But I am having trouble making the switch and climbing in a different mindset/way. I keep swapping between DRT and SRT which may not help the situation.

Anyway just a quick question for those that have made the switch. Do you plan your route round the tree (if reducing, deadwooding or thinning for example) like a series of tubes from the redirected tie in point to the lowest branch within the area you can work from that TIP? Then go back up and change your redirect to a different part of the tree for the nest tube (for want of a better word).

If that doesnt make any sense hopefully this very bad drawing in paint will explain what I am trying to ask.. So in the picture the guy would go from top to bottom, roughly in like with the redirected climbing line, then move to one of the other 'tubes' shown in the right hand pictures? Down, Up, then the next tube etc?

Does that make sense? And is that how you would go about getting round the tree?:confused1:

59765a0dc4e59_SRTmovementroutes.jpg.0f6ef79fb3efa3fe8c151a62bda5d74a.jpg

Cool cheers guys, good to know I sort of understand the most efficient way to go about doing it.

Now I guess I just need to practice more to get comfortable with it... practice makes perfect as they say!

Does anyone have any other genius tips to make the transition easier?

depends on the size of the tree and the distance and type of limbs. If the tree is as you have drawn i would do the top of the crown in 1 big hit and then try to go down in layers to avoid the up and down as much as possible as this is the most tireing part of climbing. sometimtes your rope is at funny angles but use the tree and your strop to help. if the tree is huge with several limbs then do a limb at a time, even better get 2 people up the tree this saves the up and down and the funny rope angles you more than halfs your time in the tree.hope this makes sense and helps

depends on the size of the tree and the distance and type of limbs. If the tree is as you have drawn i would do the top of the crown in 1 big hit and then try to go down in layers to avoid the up and down as much as possible as this is the most tireing part of climbing. sometimtes your rope is at funny angles but use the tree and your strop to help. if the tree is huge with several limbs then do a limb at a time, even better get 2 people up the tree this saves the up and down and the funny rope angles you more than halfs your time in the tree.hope this makes sense and helps

Good advice kris. Like the wire in your avatar!

Ben I found backing the unicender up with a helical with a long leg helped the transition.

Good advice kris. Like the wire in your avatar!

Ben I found backing the unicender up with a helical with a long leg helped the transition.

Is that actually taking weight? or just for piece of mind?

I don't really worry about the rope not holding me. I think the main thing I need to improve is just changing the way I climb. I think I am still trying to climb with my arms too much maybe, which has been giving me a bit of wrist pain when I SRT because I am obviously putting more weight on my wrist than when I use DRT. I guess just practice :biggrin: