To HgV or not ????

Albedo

Seems I should check the stats to see what the payload is with a downgrade.

Also, knowing you are ex army GrumpyDave, I would appreciate elaboration on why these trucks are hard work as you probably drove them a fair bit, and any other recomendations on your preference of truck and if its not too much to ask any info on whats involved in getting the HGV Cat C....... In your own time mate:001_smile::thumbup1:

IMO the 8T TM is a great old truck will go anywhere with any load. They are built like tanks and rarely break down. Gearboxes can be a real pain and ive blown a couple. They can take a bit of getting used to. The thing i hated most is the exhaust is under the cab and the heater sucks in the fumes when stood still, Not good!!!! They always never seemed safe either. shake like buggery and the cab is flimsy as hell. A friend of mine was killed instantly when he hit a fence at high speed, when straight through into him. But they go like the clappers Had Just over 80MPH out of mine which was the tanker variant.

As for the Cat C as far as im aware its just same as car test with theory n practical if i remember rightly practical is an hour. I found it easier than car cos truck is bigger n slower. The army paid for mine so unsure of costs.

Imo i would get something under 7.5t be alot cheaper to run n maintain. Dont convert the 8t to 7.5T youll be lucky to carry ur lunch n a saw.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for takeing the time to explain all that GDave.

I just got off the phone as it happens and your'e right about 'no lunch'... as the truck weighs 8tonne and is 16 tonne Gross when loaded. The only way here is the class C.

A Bedford MJ weighs 5 and a bit tonne and grosses 9 and a bit so with downgrade would only carry two tonne legaly.

Thanks to you guys I am beginning to understand the world of big tonka toys.

I'm going to look into getting a class C, whilst also looking at whats out there under 7.5 tonne.

Also very useful feedback on the truck itself, thanks again Dave.