Replacing Leylandii with a 6ft Close Boarded Fence

wilfster

I've got a row of Leylandii with trunks up to 1ft across. I need to remove them and dig post holes 2ft deep for the fence. Some posts need to be near to current location of trunks. So I need help to answer these questions:

1. Would a stump grinder be able to remove trunks deep enough, or cut through the base of the trunk into the soil beneath? I don't know if the tree trunks are likely to go this depth.

2. How big would the hole be if I tried to dig round the trunks, sever the roots and pull them over?

3. After either grinding or uprooting, am I right in thinking the soil would be too loose to think about putting in fence posts?

Thanks, advice appreciated.

Most of my work is fencing just done a job this week remove 15 leylandii stump grind and erect 12 mtr feather edge close board fence if you make fence up on job its much easier than the panel system as rails come in 3.6 4.0 4.2 or 4.8 lengths usually you can move posts to miss stumps i find that they are not that bad to remove if you do land on a stump put a old chain in chainsaw and also buy a root cutter a grafting spade and double spade to lift soil out of holes 1 always use 100x100 posts 600 deep and use rapid set cement and ballast mix far better than that crappy post mix dig a tight a hole as poss use galv nails and finish fence top with weatherd cap take a look at my web site claytonwestfencingservices.co.uk