Smooth bark patches on Monterey Pine

gibbon

Inspected 2 large Monterey Pines this morning. 1 had 2 patches off smooth bark I first though was down to some old stem injury. Client is sure these patches have been here some time but there has been no damage to the stem and no falling branches which might have damaged the bark here.

I assume its just normal flaking of the bark, or could it be subtle sign of soemthing else?

P9090208.jpg.6bbe8124a2af9286a480e9e6f6b678bb.jpg

P9090207.jpg.086b334903ff4d25d59a80365bc4e5f5.jpg

Looks like bark missing, as you say! Anyway, looks like abnormal growth for the species....Seems to follow a narrow channel up on right side. Could be beginnings of rib formation?

Not sure I would be too suspicious of it without further examination. Something don't quite look right though....Whats with all the fibrous strands?

I am intrigued by what appears like grains of brown rice embedded on the surface ( central image 2) And further, just to the left of these there appears lighter patch underside of recessed bark platelets...?

( Whilst I am here....the slight differences in tone on the "exposed" bark ( 4 want of better description) appears as you might expect, albeit at an under-developed stage.)

Not much use..I am good at that though!