woodland condition survey

[quote name=Tony Sorensen;

Sorry if you were already aware' date=' just thought there was an oppoutunity to stick my oar in![/quote]

Blimey I was wondering when you would finaly show up! your oar is always welcome Mr S, though something less than stating the obvious would ahve been usefull!:001_tt2:

Hamadryad,

It sounds like you can get a decent template for free from the Woodland Trust or the FC.

Apologies again

Doug

you dont owe me any apologies, Ive been moaning about degree guys and it was out of order, end of.

as for templates, doing it as we speak, of the bat, my own way, and it will turn out just fine, it, wanted some help and advice thwas just curious and nervous about the first one, but i am a capable and inteligent bloke, I wont fail or produce a lemon!:thumbup:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your first one will take FOREVER. Loads of editing. The next one will be a bit smoother, the next will be smoother and quicker, the following will be a piece of cake! Good luck.

Get someone you trust to review it for grammar/spelling etc. There is always something you miss because your eyes dont pick up the minor mistakes after a while.

All the best H.

Doug

Your first one will take FOREVER. Loads of editing. The next one will be a bit smoother, the next will be smoother and quicker, the following will be a piece of cake! Good luck.

Get someone you trust to review it for grammar/spelling etc. There is always something you miss because your eyes dont pick up the minor mistakes after a while.

All the best H.

Doug

I am finding that out as we speak!

I have a question for all you guys, how long does it take USUALY to VTA a tree thoroughly?

20 mins, 30 mins? less?

Are you having to run a VTA on every tree in your woodland???

well i am cutting it down to JUST those that need to be observed or worked, and leaving the lower risk zones and trees without tags or measurements just to keep the thing down to a sensible limit, a 2 day quote, has become a four to 6 day mare!

I would say the time taken depends on the complexity of the tree. A bog standard tree, not hugely exciting tree would take me 20 mins in total. I would take a few pictures incase 'the one' doesnt come out right.

If you compile a standard field reporting form, rather than just taking notes, this speeds up the data insertion process. For example, you might be able to give the reporting form to a third party to insert into MS Excel or into a table in MS Word. Whilst you construct the written prose.

I would say the time taken depends on the complexity of the tree. A bog standard tree, not hugely exciting tree would take me 20 mins in total. I would take a few pictures incase 'the one' doesnt come out right.

If you compile a standard field reporting form, rather than just taking notes, this speeds up the data insertion process. For example, you might be able to give the reporting form to a third party to insert into MS Excel or into a table in MS Word. Whilst you construct the written prose.

yes thast sounds like a plan, not very good with excel though!

a skill i must learn, so many things to learn, and practice cant do them all at once, unfortunatley!:thumbup1:

thanks.

I finding this painful to watch, I know some of the answers to questions that you are asking because, I was taught them on my forestry degree course. However, because this give me the opportunity to gain TO and consultant jobs, i have been taught a lot of useful points along the way.

So, I think you might find the following useful if not PM your mobile number for a quick chat?

1. A good book is Woodland Management A Practical Guide, Chris Starr (2005) forget Cyril

2. he states the following on p80 Site Survey; a) Ownership and Boundaries b) Surroundings c) Historical and archaeological evidence d) External constraints e) Habitats f) Woodland age and structure g) Soils and climatic influences h) Biodiversity i) Statutory designations

i) can be found at Forestry Commission - Advanced Search or

MAGIC Interactive Map for a TPO search contact the local LPA

3. Your problem with the slander stand grown trees calculate a widthrow hazard class

Forest Research - Tree stability and climate

4. When undertaking Tree Risk Audits, I do not record trees under 15cm given according to Matheny and Clark this small size of tree rarely fails. This has become common practise within the industry with some consultants.

5. How much time per tree well... It has been known for consultants when bidding for Highway Tree Risk Audits to estimate less than 60 seconds for each tree

6. I know of at least three people that use digital recorders to make their site notes when survey.

I dislike doing woodland plans, but these days you very really have to go on about discount rates and valuation of timber. However recently, I have done a couple for small parcels of land next to M and A roads these were relevantly easy to do by using 2 as a format. Also, I knew the management priority's for the site without these woodland management plans are almost impossible to write because there are to many operations that you can undertake within woodlands.

Have you been given a budget for any woodland operations?

Good Luck

PS. You can print woodland maps off the FC site to scale get yourself an A3 printer and scanner very useful.

Edited by common lime
grammar

O.K I dont want a template then, but can someone at least give me a clue as to the term woodland condition survey! I guess what i am asking is not what the broadest interpretation is, but the simplest interpretation, as this is all the brief asks for, simply a woodland condition survey, so they will simply get, a woodland condition syrvey!

but so far all ive seen is full bodied eye glazing reports that I am certain the client doesnt want, and this is a subby job so have no direct contact with client to ask details.

please please tell me, it really isnt that tough a question to an academic person!

I would even pay a donation to this site in your name

You need to ask your client, this is really important!

If you can't ask the end client, ask the people you're subbing for.

:001_smile: