AAAC assessment

Amelanchier

Paul,

Just wondering, when assessing potential AAACs do you ask the employees any questions about the various documentation that is required?

Presumably there's no point in having a HAVS assessment policy sitting pretty in the office if the bloke on the saw never gets assessed or a grievance and disciplinary policy locked up tight in a cupboard.

Cheers :D

Paul,

Just wondering, when assessing potential AAACs do you ask the employees any questions about the various documentation that is required?

Presumably there's no point in having a HAVS assessment policy sitting pretty in the office if the bloke on the saw never gets assessed or a grievance and disciplinary policy locked up tight in a cupboard.

Cheers :D

Hi Tony, good to hear form you.

The answer is 'yes', in theory (and sometimes in practice), the reality is the main opportunity we get to do so is when we undertake the site audit and the opportunities therefore are often limited due to the activities ongoing.

This is however something we do place a stronger emphasis on with larger companies particularly where we suspect communication is....'not as it should be'. The reality with smaller companies, particulraly when working towards approval is that the guys are usually well engaged in the process and well aware of whats what, so to speak.

Is there anything more specific underlying your question which I haven't really addressed?

Cheers..

Paul

Is there anything more specific underlying your question which I haven't really addressed?

Nah - just wondering about the mechanism behind the assessment.

It might be easy to give the impression of everything being kosher from the office; " Yep, personnel files over here / training evaluations / HAVS assessments/ working time directives opt out etc... all filled out and signed off" but perhaps the employee has never seen any of it or had a propoer chance to read it?

Not suggesting that people might be deliberately underhand (in my experience error, forgetfullness and time pressures are more likely) just wondered how the system would pick up those ommissions?

I realise time is limited on site (especially if the office part has dragged) but simple question to the employees like "Do you have a copy of your contract?" "Have you been assessed for white finger?" "Do you know what the disciplinary procedure is?" would ensure that the communication was there.

I guess the assessor is in the best position to get a feel for the way the company works and as you say would probably do that if they felt something was amiss.

Cheers for the reply

Nah - just wondering about the mechanism behind the assessment.

It might be easy to give the impression of everything being kosher from the office; " Yep, personnel files over here / training evaluations / HAVS assessments/ working time directives opt out etc... all filled out and signed off" but perhaps the employee has never seen any of it or had a propoer chance to read it?

Not suggesting that people might be deliberately underhand (in my experience error, forgetfullness and time pressures are more likely) just wondered how the system would pick up those ommissions?

I realise time is limited on site (especially if the office part has dragged) but simple question to the employees like "Do you have a copy of your contract?" "Have you been assessed for white finger?" "Do you know what the disciplinary procedure is?" would ensure that the communication was there.

I guess the assessor is in the best position to get a feel for the way the company works and as you say would probably do that if they felt something was amiss.

Cheers for the reply

Hi Tony,

The reality is that the assessors, who are all experienced, do indeed 'get a feel' for the company and it's relationship with it's employees, and we do speak to the guys on site but usually this is relating to the ops being undertaken.

I acknolwdge this is an important area and one we can place further emphasis on.

Thanks for raising it.

Paul