Trees and stormwater management

Xerxses

Sounds like a similar theme to the rubble-based load bearing soils on this info sheet from a few years ago - the case studies are in Denmark:

Not too sure what the consensus on hydroponic growing mediums is tbh. The last paper I read seemed to throw up statistics that would suggest the sandy/gravel soils, certainly in urban environments, and there were at least 5 "environment categories" as a basis for conclusions...overview pointed at these type soils as least good for trees and lead to increased stress. (In comparison ) Depth of pit, distance from curb etc, all factors; none ignored.

Ill look up a link if anyone interested. "Do street trees have a future?"

From the reading and research I made into this area of infrastructure design, I am certain tree managers should be at the forefront promoting the use of an increased canopy cover and sustainable urban forestry management. It would seem to have much to offer urban development in the future.:001_cool:

Where does hydroponics come in to it? The load bearing soils referred to in that document are a mix of soil and rubble.

I used the term very loosely-sorry about that. I mean structural soils...Again, very loosely tying structural soils in with free draining issues...I am perhaps wrong to draw conclusions of similarity between these mediums .....

I think the free-draining nature of the soil can be addressed to some degree through appropriate species choice.

The seminar mentioned above, as far as I can tell is about extending the use of the structural soil system to provide storm water storage, so I guess the trees in paved areas would be receiving similar rainfall to those in open ground... either that or they will get drowned!

The seminar will be held in English since several of the invited guests are non Swedish speaking. English is widely spoken in Sweden as we start learning english in school at the age of 9 and is complusory for 6 years.

Stockholm is the capital of Sweden and is easy to access from several destinations in the UK to its airport Arlanda, or the smaller one Skavsta that runs several daily flights from Stanstead.

If anyone missed the link to the invitation i'll repeat it;http://www.calumi.se/storm/gem/