Stihl 201tc idle issues

Bensmith

If it is still not working after this, you get to the stage where you either swap out parts or you hope that if you take it to a dealer, the Mtronic software will tell you something that you have missed.

The most likely issue is the carb followed by the coil but swapping parts out is expensive and generally a cop out!

In my experience, issues like this have been caused by the solenoid or the wiring broken as I have explained and not had one that doesn't idle after investigating these two items.

Unfortunately there isn't much left to add!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Spud, I also keep coming back to the carb and would be happy to replace the harness and solenoid again but if it’s not that it can get really expensive quickly so was thinking maybe an mtronic diagnostic would show something helpful.

My local dealer has to send it away to their sister company and my next ‘local’ dealer generally only offers it as part of the repair process so couldn’t give me a price and won’t do it while I wait so its over 120miles, a day gone and whatever they decide to charge me. It seems I back to the option of throwing new (and old) bits at it!

So I put the old solenoid back on and it wouldn’t run long enough to do a reset again so the new solenoid definitely makes a difference, but I guess I still can’t rule it out. It looks like the main problem with the solenoids is they get worn/blocked by tiny particles and can’t work properly but as my new solenoid was like this from the start I can’t blame it on wear.

Before I order a harness and new solenoid could you confirm that the green solenoid is the right one for a 2018 201 TC as there are also the black and white ones available and I can’t seem to find a decent post explaining the differences.

L&S list the solenoid below but I have fitted the white kit version to MS201s and they have run fine. The black ones were the earlier ones. 

The issues seem, as you said, to come from fine particles getting in to the solenoid and the resulting fix was the orange finer fuel filter. 

You can sometimes catch and nick the O ring on the solenoid on fitting so it is worth using a small dab of 2T oil to lubricate it on fitting. 

It is worth pulling out the gauze strainer in the carb if you haven't already. They can get clogged or scummed up and if it drys, it can be difficult to see if it is clear or not. I had one once that looked clean but on pulling it, it had scum in the open areas doing a good job of blocking it.

WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK

Solenoid Valve for Stihl FS460 Brushcutter Genuine Stihl Part. OEM No. 0000 120 5111 Suitable for the Following Applications: FR460 TC-EFM, FR460 TC-EM, FS360 C-EM, FS360 C-EM Z...

• Like 1