Sthil 032 AV Electronic Carburettor

G4TRA

I am repairing an old Sthil 032 that has been stalling under load and generally being a PIA to start. I should like to purchase a carb rebuild kit but am unsure of the exact carb model. The carb on the machine is a Walbro and the identification features seem to be WA 49 3-79. A repair kit for this carburettor is available from LS engineering. But is the the right carburettor for an 032? Maybe a TIillotson HU type carburettor was fitted first and the Walbro is an after market work around.

What is you thoughts guys?

Steve

Edited by G4TRA
Spelling

The IPL I have states the carb to be a Tillotson HU-51c. The story is that Tillotson, an Irish company ran out of manufacturing capacity and Walbro/Zama mopped up and took over most of the business so would assume this manufacturing phenomena happened during the production of this machine.

Compare both type of carbs for how the throttle and choke rod attach and where the impulse and fuel unions are. If the same then it was a mid production change. 

Husqvarna swapped from Walbro to Zama on their 357XP, it does happen! 

• Like 1

Thanks for that guys. I have stripped the carb firstly. The gaskets and main diaphragm are all OK, but the main gauze bowel filter and the inlet needle valve were both crudded up somewhat. So initially I have cleaned and reassembled to see if that will do the job. 

However I did get a little carried away and the whole saw now lies disassembled on the bench. For a forty year old product it's in surprisingly good order, however I am a little bemused to see it has no chain brake, just the guard/operate leaver at the front. There's no actuator rod, band or return spring in the clutch compartment. Now I have come across Sthil chain saws where the brake mechanism has been removed, or is missing parts, maybe this is one of those, or maybe 1980 was before the time of chain brakes?

Anyone got a chain brake for an 032 on the shelf?