fourtrak starter motor

THE88MAN

before i trawl the minefield of dodgy spares dealers and internet card robbing details sharks,just thought i'd ask on here first,you never know :001_smile: I'm after the above,its a 94 2.8tdx independent,bought 2 in succession off e-bay,both wrong.mine has 11 splines on the end,the ones i bought have 9.also i have 2 going cheap with 9 splines if anyone needs one :biggrin:

always get mine reconditioned, i know this doesnt help as yr not local to me but its usually about £40 round here, takes about 2days, but sometimes cleaning all the clutch dust out of them and cleaning up the terminals helps shortterm, check with a multimeter to see if its drawing too much current..Ed

is it that the starter is jamming and not turning the engine over ?? if so it could well be two little copper l shaped pieces , they tend to wear away , i will see if i can did out a digram for you if its of any use

its off the truck at the minute so i'll check them out in the morning,nothing looks worn or broken up so you could be onto something,i'll pm ya if i can't find them!

I've just had the same on my Fourtrak..... clik clik clikkety clik.

It was the copper contacts inside the solenoid body (as CTS said) causing the problem, it wasn't the brushes or commutator in the motor itself. Look for a flat cover held on by three screws, whip that off and there's a plunger inside that knocks the starter gear forward and also bumps up against 2 copper contacts that fire up the motor. One of mine had worn and eroded right back....

This chap will talk you through it- at around 2mins 20 if you're impatient.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxjPpytfnv0]YouTube - how car starter motors work[/ame]