Quantifying risks from many trees

arb culture

Always remembering the tenet of "reasonable practicability" in the degree to which any assessment need go into infinate detail...it would be possible to set up a vehicle counting station and using various accepted sampling techniques calculate actual traffic flows and volumes. However we really do not need to dot hat since in Oz just as in the UK (and Europe and the USA) roads are constructed to enable the carriage of defined maximum numbers of vehicles per day. The classifications vary from country to country (state to state in our case) as do the figures but they are available, those figures represent the maximum design occupancy for that road, and that should form the basis of any calculation of target value on a specific road.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean, perhaps you could provide a worked example showing us how you have worked out the accurate target value and impact potential in a QTRA assessment?

In my experience target value is simply the application of the data available to you, or more often than not the data recorded by the property manager/owner relating to occupancy/usage.

If you really do have a desire to understand the system better I strongly urge you to read the original paper by Mike (referenced in the previous thread by Bundle, I think)...target and impact potential are clearly explained there.

• 1 month later...

A scene...

Hmm, I'm not sure what to suggest, but ideally there would be quite a lot of trees, and in a format which allows for some funky maths, an excel document would be ideal.:001_smile:

Also, the example would have to be the work of the person supplying it. I wouldn't want to use one without the author's permission, even if it is in the public domain.

i might be poking a hornets nest here but,

i don't get QTRA at all? i know how it works, with targets and risks given values and after all the sums you end up with a figure that tells you how great the risk is, but why not just give it marks out of ten? if you're that bothered you could times it by 1000?

you can call me stupid if you like but i don't understand the value in it at all?

In my experience target value is simply the application of the data available to you, or more often than not the data recorded by the property manager/owner relating to occupancy/usage.

If you really do have a desire to understand the system better I strongly urge you to read the original paper by Mike (referenced in the previous thread by Bundle, I think)...target and impact potential are clearly explained there.

Or

Contact this company

Cheshire Woodlands | home

sure some one will have your answer there :001_smile:

"Or

Contact this company

Cheshire Woodlands | home

sure some one will have your answer there"

Or, (and here's a really crazy idea) someone could give me a worked example that they don't mind me commenting on.:banghead:

(Tony, I don't include you in my exasperation. I know you are working on it :001_smile:)

Arb culture,

a worked example will not be very helpful to you, the finished calculations do not show how the values are arrived at.

Values for occupancy, size of part and other factors such as reduced mass are derived from the QTRA wheel or in the calculator.

The concept and how the maths work are explained when you do the training for the license.