Husqy 321 electric problems

Pete Lees

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie here, found the site whilst browsing, so hi to all.

I have a Husqvarna 321 electric which is probably about 4-5 years old but had only very light use. I use it mostly in the workshop for shaping tenons and furniture.

The button on the side that you press to release the chain to move it around whilst sharpening stopped (over a period of time) having any effect, so I took the saw apart to see if I could see what was going on. There was no obvious reason for it not working, but it is just a bit of plastic that pushes on a metal trigger inside the body of the saw. It seemed to work perfectly well to just remove the plastic button and use a thin piece of wood or screwdriver to press the button instead, through the hole where the button should be. 

That all worked fine, and I can now sharpen the chain without removing it completely.

When I use the saw now, it runs as normal for about 20-30 seconds, then loses power and dies completely, and will not start again. I put it down and come back to it a while later and it does the same again. I presume that when I took it apart and reassembled I have knocked something / done something wrong ... but what? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Not familiar with electric saws but motors lose power because of brushes or capacitors in my experience unless they have gone smelly and let all the magic smoke out then they are shot :D Diagram for the motor here and the parts are listed. The smoke is not available though.