Board feet?

Coed y Cardi

My maths is rubbish! How many board feet of 6"x1" do I need to cover 25m2? I have had a go and think it's about 380 feet?:confused1:

Method 1-

269 square ft is the same area as 25 square metres.... probably not the answer you're after. However, a 6in wide board covers 1/2 a square ft for every foot of plank length, so if you double 269 to give 538 running feet/ linear feet you are there.

Method 2-

Let's see how many bits of 6in board it takes to make a square metre (and multiply by 25 at the end)

1m length = 3.28 ft length

1m wide = 6.66 widths of 6in board (100cm divided by 15cm)

Therefore 3.28 x 6.66 x 25= 546 running ft

The slight difference in outcome is cool- let's be honest, it's one 8ft length of board difference. I think most sawyers would be happy to send out a couple of extra boards as goodwill to cover any bits that aren't up to scratch within a pack.

Cubic ft- The actual volume of timber within 538 linear ft of 6x1 is 22.41 cubic ft. Roughly a tonne of green Oak of finished product.

Careful now! If you use this method to try and work out weatherboard coverage you have to factor in the overlap of the boards. Probably best to assume that it takes 8 pieces of 6in board to cover a metre height on the wall. Therefore 3.28 x 8 will give you the number of linear/ running ft needed to cover a square metre. 26.24 ft.

Decking boards are the other way around, as the gaps between boards give you 'free' coverage. Weirdly, the narrower the decking planks, the further the timber goes. 4 boards 8in wide with gaps doesn't go as far as 8 boards of 4in width with gaps.... :001_cool: